Microsoft Game Studios acquires ECGN!

Latest News and Updates from PowerVS.
Casus

Microsoft Game Studios acquires ECGN!

Postby Casus » Tue Apr 01, 2003 7:29 am

Microsoft buys Gaming Service Provider - East Coast Gaming Network.

By David Antic
Staff Writer, C*NET News.net
April 1, 2003, 1:57 AM PT

Microsoft announced today that it has acquired Virginia based gaming service provider East Coast Gaming Network, an ECGN executive confirmed on Tuesday.

ECGN has publicly acknowledged that it has sold all assets of the company to Microsoft in a private transaction valued at more than $25 million, and will become part of Microsoft Game Studios and The Zone.Com division.

"The entire company has been sold to Microsoft," stated Mr. Kiblin, the CEO of ECGN. “I look forward to working with all of the Microsoft folks and bringing our fast, low-latency gaming servers to popular titles such as Freelancer and the upcoming Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004”, he continued.

"ECGN relies heavily on the use of open-source technology and Linux servers, we hope to convince Microsoft of the benefits and power of open-source technology, and the stability and scalability of Linux in general.", stated Mr. Galpin, CTO of ECGN.

Microsoft has declined further comment on the ECGN purchase at this time, and said more information will be forth coming in the next few weeks, as they prepare to announce their Online Gaming Strategy.

Sally Oloha, an analyst for research firm IBC, said the type of fast-action based games ECGN hosts are exactly what Microsoft needs to broaden the appeal of the their Game Studios division and go after hardcore gamers as well as the demanding market share lead of EA Games.

"They need to get into the mass market," she said. "ECGN has a reputation for hosting very solid, high-quality servers, something that's been really lacking for the Xbox and other Microsoft games, ECGN is very good at developing online communities; they made BattleField 1942 online what it is today."

B.J. McNicely, an analyst for research firm Gardner, said that the deal will mean a delayed payoff for Microsoft.

"It's a much less appealing deal for Microsoft without the BF1942 franchise," he said. "It makes it more of a long-term investment. It's possible the goal is really to build up a portfolio for the later years of the Xbox, when they're going to need to appeal to the kiddie market even more."

ECGNDan

Postby ECGNDan » Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:57 am

laff, the "kiddie market" :rotflmao:

Postby Ryan » Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:56 am

You had me all worked up over this Tom! I thought it was real... but i guess that just shows how gulliable I am.

Postby Buliwyf » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:32 pm

hahaha
XBOX 360 Gamertag

Postby Folic_Acid » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:37 pm

:) I still love that one

LordShard

Postby LordShard » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:39 pm

Hear that? They are going to change over the ECGN servers for the Xbox most likely :(

Postby shockwave203 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:03 pm

Originally posted by LordShard
Hear that? They are going to change over the ECGN servers for the Xbox most likely :(

:lol:

PWNED!!

Fat Bastard

Postby Fat Bastard » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:04 pm

Nice

Drax

Postby Drax » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:12 pm

you got me until the thing anout the 25 mil assests

Drax

Postby Drax » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:13 pm

*about
*million

Postby Evan » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:15 pm

We have our servers running off a few Xboxes. It's nice.
Image.

Dakana

Postby Dakana » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:54 am

A few are running off of state-of-the-art Windows ME boxes, too.

Postby SkiloDog2000 » Mon May 03, 2004 5:15 pm

and a custom built xp box that can stand up to about a halph year of stress before i get bored start fucking with it and it crashes

}-{ellfish

Postby }-{ellfish » Wed May 05, 2004 8:00 pm

ROFL

Colonel Savage

Postby Colonel Savage » Mon May 10, 2004 2:39 pm

I use my Xbox as a footstool.

Next

Return to News and Updates