No multiplayer in new Wolfenstein

Latest News and Updates from PowerVS.
RTCW Admin

No multiplayer in new Wolfenstein

Postby Jun1oR » Mon May 13, 2013 11:46 am

The upcoming Wolfenstein: The New Order from Bethesda and MachineGames will not include a multiplayer component, the studios have confirmed with GameSpot.

Instead, the current- and next-generation game will strictly be a single-player title, a responsibility MachineGames does not take lightly.

"It's such a huge part of video game legacy," creative director Jens Matthies told GameSpot in a new video preview. "If there's a video game museum, Wolfenstein is in the first room. It's the start of the wave that shaped the world of gaming."

"On a personal level, I played this when I was younger and it was mind-blowing," Matthies added. "I never then of course dreamed that I was going to be working with it. It's both an honor and a legacy."

Not all in the industry as are excited as Matthies is about the new Wolfenstein. Writing on Facebook, Deus Ex and Epic Mickey designer Warren Spector slammed the new game.

"Did the world really need another Wolfenstein game? Did we need a generically dark, monochromatic, FPS, kill-the-Nazi-giant-robot game? Uh. No. The world did not. I am so tired of stuff like this," he said. "Oh, and could we all just agree we'll never use the generic gravelly-whisper trailer voice guy ever again? And one more thing: Please stop using Jimi Hendrix to promote your adolescent male power fantasies."

Spector has since apologized for his comments.

For more on Wolfenstein: The New Order, check out the full video preview below. In addition, GameSpot will have more coverage of the game tomorrow and Friday.

Read Full Article

Re: No multiplayer in new Wolfenstein

Postby Zabad » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Jun1oR wrote:"It's such a huge part of video game legacy," creative director Jens Matthies told GameSpot in a new video preview. "If there's a video game museum, Wolfenstein is in the first room. It's the start of the wave that shaped the world of gaming."

Nonsense. He must have meant Doom. RTCW is the only memorable Wolfenstein in the series and that's mainly because of its multiplayer.

Re: No multiplayer in new Wolfenstein

Postby Zabad » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:53 pm

It's the start of the wave that shaped the world of gaming

I must protest once more. I'd just like to add that games like Doom and Quake did help shape the FPS genre into the standard multiplayer carnage fest we enjoy today. Wolfenstein 3D had very little to do with it. Unless you still enjoy single player FPS rat mazes and prison torture camps. RTCW was actually much more influential. No multiplayer is actually a step backwards. Thanks for letting me share.

Return to News and Updates