Possible sticky?

This forum is used for questioning why you were banned or kicked from official ECGN servers. Posts anywhere else will be deleted, keep them in here.

Possible sticky?

Postby hightimber » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:05 pm

I think the way ECGN admins handle whiners is admirable. If a person come in with maturity and pleads his case, many times that person's ban is lifted or his kick is explained rationally.

Perhaps, it might be a good idea to create a 'sticky' that explains to people what a good strategy is to present their case. Be civil. Don't flame. Don't take it personally, etc.

Often people who are kicked/banned are initially very upset and they create threads that they might later regret. A sticky that suggests a cooling off period or presenting their arguments rationally might alleviate some future flame threads.

Postby jnkcrp » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:03 pm

It seems to me that how people response to being kicked or warned tends to point out what kind of person they are. People have to learn respect for others one way or another. People tend to be very big talkers behind a computer and would act differently if they were face to face. Putting together a cheat sheet teaching a tard how to act and write like a civilized person seems like a waste of time. First impressions tend to be correct.

It should be simple. If you honestly don't know why you were kicked then ask in a polite manner. You will be told the reason then you can repond to it.

Postby residue » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:26 pm

i don't think posters need a strategy to present their case but i do think a reminder to be calm and courteous would be helpful. i think it's natural for players to be upset after being kicked or banned because most probably feel they were not at fault.

right or wrong, they come here to share thoughts which may not always be conveyed effectively over the computer.

if you've ever worked in customer support then you realize that shouting back at a client is rarely effective or advisable. and, if you've ever called customer support when you're upset...

Ralph Wiggum

Postby Ralph Wiggum » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:31 pm

I tend to agree with Conan. No need to give them a road map.

Postby hightimber » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:48 pm

I tend to agree with Residue. A reminder to be courteous should save a lot of unneccessary flaming.

I also think today's thread regarding M.U. Tiger should discount the first impressions theory. I've played a few hours alongside M.U. and I got the distinct impression that the hothead M.U. who posted was not the same guy I'd been playing 1942 with.

Ralph Wiggum

Postby Ralph Wiggum » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:20 pm

Good point Hightimber, but isn't the important part that he figured it out mostly on his own.

Postby hightimber » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:56 pm

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
Good point Hightimber, but isn't the important part that he figured it out mostly on his own.
Well, I guess it was a collaborative effort to somewhat steer him in the right direction. My goal is to make sure we hang on to good players who may misstep in their initial contact with us about kicks/bans.

As Doom pointed out, a number of our current regs started out with a stumble. I'm not proprosing coddling people or trying to rescue every one who missteps.

It was just an idea. If the admins choose not to implement.....no big deal.

:beer:

Rule of Wrist

Postby Rule of Wrist » Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:06 pm

I think a forum rules section is being worked on, this should cover this base...

As far as people complaining, we should get an accurate impression of the complainer, not one tainted by any foreknowledge of how he may be treated based upon his post...

"I'm so sorry for TKing five admins point blank! It wasn't me! It was the one-armed man! PLEASE let us back on the server, we swears to do what you wants!"

Return to Been Banned?