D-E-F-E-N-S-E (whine)

This forum is used for questioning why you were banned or kicked from official ECGN servers. Posts anywhere else will be deleted, keep them in here.

Postby residue » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:28 am

Originally posted by red_mist
As for botb, I had come to the same conclusion as Residue for tactics. However would it not be better to have the M10 hang back away from the north bridge defence and let the engy's and anti tank try to hold it. If the axis end up taking that flag at some point would that not keep the 2nd tiger from spawing or at least keep the m10 out of they're hands?

with a couple engineers to keep the bridge mined and a couple infantry to watch for swimmers, the m10 base should never be taken via the north bridge. once axis gets across the river, though, it might be better to use the m10 to recapture the church or protect the depot.

Postby residue » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:32 am

Originally posted by FarginMofo
As far as "most regs do" about knowing defense goes. Sure, for the most part thats true. But many seem to have short-term memory loss at times because at least a couple of games a night I see important main bases or CPs with one and sometimes none defending it.

this is exactly what happened last night on wake. i kept reminding/screaming that there were no allies guarding the north flags because everyone was bunched at the airfield. luckily, a few people spawned north to help but if axis had made a stronger push we would have lost.

also, on baytown, axis almost made an incredible comeback from 600 tickets down but people didn't defend. we should never have lost our main but nobody stayed back and someone simply jumped from a plane and capped it.

RCinator

Postby RCinator » Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:23 pm

Originally posted by SGT DEVILDOG
Ok…<Sigh> I have said this many times. It is not the fact that people don’t know that defense is a must…trust me most regs do. It is a matter that the same people defend all the time. While the same assaulters attack all the time.

Cheers mate! I spend 80% of my time defending not because I want to, but because noone else seems to want to. For those of you that never do it - it _sucks_ - give it a try some time - it's mostly boring. This isn't intended to be inflamatory, but some of you need to step out of your assault vehicles and hold the line for a change, letting the defenders share some of the glory.

RCinator

Postby RCinator » Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:26 pm

Originally posted by FarginMofo
I beg to differ Devil. On certain maps you can get a lot of points playing defense. On more than one occasion I've played Bocage as allies, spent 90% of the time defending the East CP and ended up in the top 10 scorers for allies. How about maps like Wake that have large cap perimeters. Many times I've defended the SW base and gotten a lot of points by a) killing the enemy who turned the flag neutral and b) turning the flag back.

This is true Fargin, but only when the front-line actually lets the other team slip through. On a lot of maps I play defense and barely see anyone because the front-line is raping the enemy before they can get to me. The problem is, strategically, you _want_ to keep the enemy away, so you really can't complain.

Defending the NW base on Gazala is, however, an exception. That's a great place to see action while you're defending..

Postby FarginMofo » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:25 pm

There are exceptions so thats why I said it depends on the map. Like on BotB, if your allied team does a good job of holding both bridges and the flags behind them then the most you might see at the depot is a few foot soldiers at best and probably spread out throughout the game. Now on a map like Gazala where all it takes is one guy to bail out of a plane and capture the base.
"Well, we're not just gonna let you walk out of here."
"Who's we sucka!?"
"Smith and Wesson and me."

{CN}Doomfarer

Postby {CN}Doomfarer » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:40 am

As I person that spends ALOT of time playing Defense on most maps, I can say several things... It is normally a boring and thankless job. There is little wonder that people aren't jumping out of the woodworks to volunteer for D duty. After playing the role of dedicated defender for several maps you kind of want to DO SOMETHING ELSE for a map or two...

Instead of expecting the random pubber to pop along and say, "Hey I'll cover the flag for awhile." We need to ask for and RECIEVE a volunteer from TS to step up on "D" for any given map. Part of the reason TS is there is for things like that to happen. Remember that before you start ranting over TS about how there is no "D". It is our job, in the game (hehehe) to be there at key positions instead of bitching about how noone else is there.

Look to thyself before pointing the finger (in either sense) at others.

Postby residue » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:50 am

Originally posted by {CN}Doomfarer
Instead of expecting the random pubber to pop along and say, "Hey I'll cover the flag for awhile." We need to ask for and RECIEVE a volunteer from TS to step up on "D" for any given map. Part of the reason TS is there is for things like that to happen. Remember that before you start ranting over TS about how there is no "D". It is our job, in the game (hehehe) to be there at key positions instead of bitching about how noone else is there.

Look to thyself before pointing the finger (in either sense) at others.

alas, sometimes a lone defender is not enough.

Previous

Return to Been Banned?