D-E-F-E-N-S-E (whine)

This forum is used for questioning why you were banned or kicked from official ECGN servers. Posts anywhere else will be deleted, keep them in here.
Janlop

Postby Janlop » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:09 pm

Regular pubbers would more than likely beat you out for the tanks upon spawn in for that strat on Aberdeen.

Residue, concerning last night's OMG, after being pushed off the two bridges + middle (that jumper had a great spot) it was pretty much game over and many of the regs decided to have some 'fun'. I myself tried going into the AA to have Doomy snipe me out - so I took a long extended swim around (if it wasn't for T-Chicken playing back too much I probably would have capped a flag).

And I'm kinda sorry to plug .. but if you guys want a more "trained" battle. Want not try joining a tourny/massive battle.. BFE BF1942 or Global Conflict . It might be a little confusing to start fresh and understand it all, but there are people around to help get you set up. I used to know them in BFE, but I stopped playing there so sorry can't help.. though if you need help with GC, just let me know and I'll do my best to help get you started **Just to let you know, GC does run its own mod for the battles - and the campaign has recently been restarted (perfect time to join :D )

Postby residue » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:29 pm

i understand if people get frustrated and give up but this seems to happen on every round of market garden. where are the smackers that wanted to keep this map in the rotation? are they all playing allied, clowning around or are they not even playing the map?

with 10 snipers, the teams effectively become 32-22 in favor of allied. axis snipers on omg are just as bad as mass snipers on allied cassino, baytown, allied omaha, etc.

Postby FarginMofo » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:12 pm

I voted to keep OMG in the rotation mainly because when axis is able to get and hold a CP on the allied side it turns into a hard fought give and take battle sort of like the one from 2 or so nights ago.
"Well, we're not just gonna let you walk out of here."
"Who's we sucka!?"
"Smith and Wesson and me."

Postby Buliwyf » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:32 pm

OMG is a fun map to play
XBOX 360 Gamertag

Agent-Commando

Postby Agent-Commando » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:06 pm

Originally posted by hightimber
I've already addressed this question privately to Residue but I'd like to take it 'public'. On Aberdeen if the tanks stayed together as one group in a good battle formation, how could you lose (unless the other team did the same thing)? After each encounter, you should have enough engineers to repair damaged tanks, then proceed to the next flag. Infantry could hold taken flags and call for support from the group when needed.

Next time we're on aberdeen I'd like to give this a try...likewise with coral sea, instead of single bombing passes too...

the_slog

Postby the_slog » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:12 pm

You guys worry WAY to much about winning.

Dakana

Postby Dakana » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:35 pm

But... but... I want to fly! I don't want to get out of this plane at all, and forget those tanks. They'll shoot me. I'll just kinda fly around and enjoy the scenery. Perhaps strafe some random, single infantry far from the action.

This tank rocks. Look how it can go real fast and stop before it hits the wa--- Smacker is no more.

The Nazinator

Postby The Nazinator » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:31 am

Originally posted by Bagginses
I think Bulge is the prime example of what defense could be. There were several occasions on that map where I was sitting in the depot with the Sherman and someone would hop up in the MG and tell me to move, and go for the flag, and I'd say no. Then I had to listen to them ask me why, and I would just say, it's a little thing called defense. Then they got out and walked away...or tried to shoot me.

-Bagginses

Problem with this strategy was proven on another round of Bulge the other day, when, as Allies, we lost all but the Depot. We hung back and just all stuck at the Depot (against some folks better judgement.) All it took was for someone to gray the flag from the cemetary, and the Axis knocked out the team one by one.

In general, I think hanging back and playing defense on your last flag, on a map with no un-cappables, is a death-wish.

Bagginses

Postby Bagginses » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:34 am

Originally posted by The Nazinator
Problem with this strategy was proven on another round of Bulge the other day, when, as Allies, we lost all but the Depot. We hung back and just all stuck at the Depot (against some folks better judgement.) All it took was for someone to gray the flag from the cemetary, and the Axis knocked out the team one by one.

In general, I think hanging back and playing defense on your last flag, on a map with no un-cappables, is a death-wish.

There's a number of ways to protect the cemetary, though. You can drive the APC right inside, or a Sherman for that matter. Have an engy throw some detpacks in the ammo box in the shed and some near that wheelbarrel behind. You see the flag go gray, detonate them. One of the MGs in the watch towers has full coverage of the graveyard as well. So there are some possibilities, you just have to make sure everyone's communicating well.

-Bagginses

Postby FarginMofo » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:16 am

You can cover the entrance to the cementery with expacks and blow them up when axis sneak in that way you don't let them get to flag. Plus it helps if you have a couple of brave (*cough* cannon fodder *cough*) men to play assualt in front of the cementery to act as a first line of D against foot soldiers.
"Who's we sucka!?"

Postby SGT DEVILDOG » Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:18 am

Ok…<Sigh> I have said this many times. It is not the fact that people don’t know that defense is a must…trust me most regs do. It is a matter that the same people defend all the time. While the same assaulters attack all the time. Points come from attacking so more people attack. The defenders get frustrated after awhile and leave their posts. Then get yelled at if the team loses that flag. They are in a no win situation. They get low points for playing defense and people think they suck, or they leave their post and try to get points, and a flag gets taken and they suck for losing the flag. It is very grating to have a point whore yell at you for losing a flag when most of the time they are doing very little to help hold it.
If some of the point whores (notice I mention no names here SO DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE) would make a conscience effort to play defense once in awhile I am sure that a more consistent defense would happen on all the maps. This is just the 2 cents of a semi defender.
[img]DevilDog
" We are not retreating. We are attacking in a different direction" Chesty Puller...USMC

red_mist

Postby red_mist » Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:16 am

Point well taken DevilDog. My scores are almost always low as I tend to spend the majority of my time repairing vehicles, laying mines to harass the enemy or hanging at the base on AA. Just taking out a plane here and there can result in keeping players alive somewhere else on the map long enough to grab a flag or armor and do some damage.

As for botb, I had come to the same conclusion as Residue for tactics. However would it not be better to have the M10 hang back away from the north bridge defence and let the engy's and anti tank try to hold it. If the axis end up taking that flag at some point would that not keep the 2nd tiger from spawing or at least keep the m10 out of they're hands?

CrazyBri

Postby CrazyBri » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:49 am

I was in the allied sherman for the end of that round and I was going to wherever the guys were calling out the tanks on TS. Once the flag turned grey and I didn't see any enemies I was definitely concerned that they were hiding in the graveyard. By that time though there were too many enemies swarming and I eventually got taken out by a panzer.

Nazinator normally I'd say it was a deathwish to hang back at the last flag on Battle of the Bulge but I've witnessed several victories from the allies in that situation to prove otherwise. I think there can be a compromise though where some allies can use the APC as a means of rushing to a distant flag. Since the APC can take a few tank shells before going down it's not such a bad idea as long as enough people are inside to attack once(or if) the destination is reached .

the_slog

Postby the_slog » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:00 am

Perhaps you guys should take a step back and look at where you are playing. As Chacal has said time and time again, this is NOT a Clan server, and you are NOT going to get cohesive teams very often on BF#1.

If that's what you are looking for, Maybe some of you guys should start a Clan and rent out a server.

In the meantime, stop telling people that their playstyle isn't valid.

Postby FarginMofo » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:13 am

I beg to differ Devil. On certain maps you can get a lot of points playing defense. On more than one occasion I've played Bocage as allies, spent 90% of the time defending the East CP and ended up in the top 10 scorers for allies. How about maps like Wake that have large cap perimeters. Many times I've defended the SW base and gotten a lot of points by a) killing the enemy who turned the flag neutral and b) turning the flag back.

Defense is a thankless job. If your team wins you don't hear anyone say "hey so-and-so, great job defending that CP against all those attacks pretty much by yourself!". But if you lose the game then everyone is like "What happened?".

As far as "most regs do" about knowing defense goes. Sure, for the most part thats true. But many seem to have short-term memory loss at times because at least a couple of games a night I see important main bases or CPs with one and sometimes none defending it.
"Who's we sucka!?"

PreviousNext

Return to Been Banned?