Why #1 is dying as of late

This forum is used for questioning why you were banned or kicked from official ECGN servers. Posts anywhere else will be deleted, keep them in here.

Postby residue » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:21 am

ecgn #1 is still very full at night. if the intention is to showcase ecgn's hosting capabilities then i think it's a mixed bag. it certainly draws a crowd but the frequent crashes of late tend to be frustrating.

it's understandable how some feel that things aren't the same as before. there are many new players and unfamiliar voices. some of the regulars have gotten bored and sought out mods for a change of pace. some are tired of the complaints and disapprove of the ts chatter. none of this necessarily means that the server is dying.

the admins have generally been very responsive. i sense burnout and a few short tempers and if that's the case then people need a reminder not to take things so seriously. it's just a game and if helping to maintain the server is that upsetting then it's time to take a break.

Postby SGT DEVILDOG » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:11 am

Originally posted by residue
a few short tempers and if that's the case then people need a reminder not to take things so seriously. it's just a game and if helping to maintain the server is that upsetting then it's time to take a break.

RES I remember about 2 and 3 days ago when you weren’t on TS because you were tired of the BS on TS. I am glad that you understand why people are upset. You have been there. So who should take a break? I am on a 6-day hiatus and you? Res I really like playing with you but don’t cast a stone if you live in a glass house. HAVE A NICE DAY
[img]DevilDog
" We are not retreating. We are attacking in a different direction" Chesty Puller...USMC

CrazyBri

Postby CrazyBri » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:49 am

I know I haven't been on #1 much lately but that is more of a result from an increased workload than anything else. (yes i did try out FH mod late sat night :) ) I realize I haven't been around the ecgn community that long but regardless, I'm definitely not angry with the admins,regulars or teamspeak usage etc. IMO, the server is far from dying and I plan to be on there having some good times again as soon as I possibly can. (hopefully I can squeeze 1 or 2 weeknights in this week) :beer:

Kurith

Postby Kurith » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:55 am

No I think you've brought up a valid point.

I've seen the server population decline, I don't know what to blame. All I know is the reason for me not being on number one is just a simple burn out of the game, and just the amount of complete dumbasses on the server.

I don't blame the admins, they cannot baby us 24/7, so if it gets too heated like many said, just take a break. I've also been sucked into the FH mod on CoE and I think its fantastic, maybe you should try it, the realism seems to keep a majority of the tards out.

Postby JimmyTango » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:45 am

Originally posted by SGT DEVILDOG
humm... do you realize that your first four words were "I HATE TO COMPLAIN" see if we switch to 12/14 SW maps then we will get twice the bitches. We cant win :( BTW it only took 4 replies before someone had a complaint:( Go else where to complain but dont prove my point. At least not on this thread. Thanks have a nice day

The only annoying 'whining' and 'bithing' is when someone brings up a well written post, only to have admins reply with this BS.

Usually I agree with most of the admins decisions. But never with this.

On TS, when you hear, what to me is the only annoying 'complaints' come from people who do nto even post here. Someone in this thread wrote about a TS'er demanding a kick, then another yelling for no immediate response. That is what you get from advertising that TS server in game. If you do not want those kids doing it, do not advertise the TS server during the game, only do it on the forums. You will cut off the fat by doing it, and only the more serious players will be on TS.

I know, I know, I proved your point since I do not grovel at your feet..........

Postby Rotoman » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:54 am

Wow! I guess I'm kinda surprised by all this. For those of you that may remember (but probably not) I was a pretty regular player last spring for about 4 months straight. Then I decided to take a break and play something else (Planetside).

It was very refreshing to come back to this game last month. I had forgotten how much fun it is! The admins are great and the server rocks! At first I was constantly noticing the differences between this and Planetside but ultimately I was having a BLAST with very little downtime (my biggest beef with PS).

I haven't even mentioned the mods yet. There are so many ways to enjoy this game...all I can say is if you're bored with vanilla, try out the mods, or jump on an EA server for an hour (did that Sunday-ick!) or take a break and play something else for a few weeks. You'll be glad you did.

P.S. Thanks admins - I know its a sucky job but you keep guys like me from killing their girlfriend's cat.
Athlon 3200, Radeon 9800Pro, 2 Gig DDR400 RAM, Audigy Gamer, SB 5.1 speakers, NEC 17" monitor.

Die....then quit.

Postby residue » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:02 am

Originally posted by SGT DEVILDOG
RES I remember about 2 and 3 days ago when you weren’t on TS because you were tired of the BS on TS. I am glad that you understand why people are upset. You have been there. So who should take a break? I am on a 6-day hiatus and you? Res I really like playing with you but don’t cast a stone if you live in a glass house. HAVE A NICE DAY

let me enlighten you -

i decided to take a break from ts for a day or two because my ears were still ringing from the botr when everyone was excited and shouting on teamspeak. from my perspective, it was frustrating and after a while i decided to ignore it all and just finish the match. when rule of wrist later asked me in-game why i wasn't on ts i simply replied that i was tired of it (much simpler to type).

if you look at my playing time, i've been as active as ever on the server. ice9 has demonstrated that you can be a good player without being on teamspeak and i thought i'd follow his example for a little while.

everyone has different reasons why they continue to frequent the server or have stopped. it's just like threads about whining, map selection, etc. the server isn't dying because you (nobody specific) aren't on as much anymore. we have several new regulars and i can actually practice in a plane without instantly being shot down. time passes. the situation changes. life goes on.

if you think i am casting stones then you are mistaken. try not to interpret everything as a personal affront or attack.

relax.

Murgatroyd

Postby Murgatroyd » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:28 am

Speaking for myself, I've been taking a break from Battlefield 1942 in general - not specifically from this server or for any specific reason, I think it's a combination of BF1942 getting old and BF:V coming out next week. I think I may be part of a trend. I wouldn't worry too much, once V comes out, I think we'll have a Vietnam server full of regs. :D

Postby Harry Canyon » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:47 am

Well..

I don't think that #1 is dying, it looks to be doing great with the people on it. It's a public server that seems to have turned into a community/clan-like server for many. I know I've been around here for more than a year as an admin, longer as a regular of the game. This time into this game is longer than the time I spent with 75% of the women I've known. And like that analogy, I've needed a 'change' lately. Some of it has come with the FH and DC mods on the Church, some of it has come with 'real life' and some with other games. I'm actually amazed that this game has lasted this long with so many 'regulars' at the same spot. Could you say this about HL or CS...with the same server night after night???

My advice.... if you feel like the gameplay is bad or the whining is getting to you....step away for awhile. I have lately and it's really helped my attitude with the game and others. I know I'm an admin and should be keeping the 'peace', but sometimes we all need a break.

P.S. Devildog...quit saying 'HAVE A NICE DAY' dammit!!!!

Bullhead

Postby Bullhead » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:53 pm

Originally posted by JimmyTango
Someone in this thread wrote about a TS'er demanding a kick, then another yelling for no immediate response. That is what you get from advertising that TS server in game. If you do not want those kids doing it, do not advertise the TS server during the game, only do it on the forums. You will cut off the fat by doing it, and only the more serious players will be on TS.

I'm not disagreeing with your above statement Jimmy, I just want to reiterate that at least one, if not both of the above people were playing on this server BEFORE we even used teamspeak. That's what blew my mind, these were not new (or even recent) additions to the community, they were old players, who've actually been on the server longer than Devildog (I think).

RCinator

Postby RCinator » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:19 pm

TS is definitely the main reason I've been weening off a bit. There are just so many people on TS, asking for 'this' and 'that', and feeling entitled to the admins bending over for them, that it's started to eat my nerves. I feel for the admins.

There are also some regs that have gotten a bit too hopped up on the invincible reg juice, and I'm tired of some of the hypocrasy.

My "whine" thread last week was not intended to cheese anyone off, I just wanted people to pay a bit more attention to a few things. I'm sorry if it got under anyone's skin - that was not my intent.

I too miss the early days when things were much more relaxed.

Postby SGT DEVILDOG » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:29 pm

OK, declining would have been a better choice of words than dying. Jimmy when a thread is basically talking about whining and bitching being the cause for a recent decline in #1, and someone starts a reply with “I hate to complain” that is proving my point. I do not want him or anyone else to grovel at my feet.
[img]DevilDog
" We are not retreating. We are attacking in a different direction" Chesty Puller...USMC

Postby Hellacious » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:02 pm

[quote]Originally posted by Harry Canyon
[B]Well..

This time into this game is longer than the time I spent with 75% of the women I've known. QUOTE]

Not true I've been there long...:eek: :D
.......................................................................................

Here is how I feel...my .2 cents...

I too have taken a break from #1. There are alot of new People and Kids on TS, and on #1. I can't stand the Bitching and Crying on TS, and in game it starts get old and boring to me.. It has nothing to do with the ADMINS all of you MEN do a great job. I've been playing FH, and DC and I love it. DC, and FH have relaxed me, and is better to play there are NO people bitching or crying, and that what makes the game fun to play. I've been play on #1 for over a year and, I too miss how it was in the early day.. Double D you do a great job as a Admin and when you play the game come over and play some FH and DC to relaxe and have a :beer: good one it will help..

In Game Name [ECGN-ADMIN]Hellacious

Postby Folic_Acid » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:13 pm

I'll echo RC's post. I think TS fatigue and general lack of interest in vanilla BF are my reasons for taking a break from #1 for a while. I have no gripes with the admins - I'm very appreciative of the job you all do, because there's almost never any thanks or reward, only gripes. So, know that you and your willingness to do the job is greatly appreciated.

If folks are tired of TS and vanilla BF, come on over to the Church of Elevation for a little Forgotten Hope action. Most of the old regs are there, having a great time just trying it out and talking smack to each other. :)

Agent-Commando

Postby Agent-Commando » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:03 pm

I been playing here since the OC48 days, personally I think the maps and the strategies employed are getting really old, we all know what to do every map, how to defend and attack, it's nothing new anymore. DC is getting better now as it's actually balanced out, FH is just pure awesome and there's plenty of new stuff to try yout.

Like Harry, I don't think the server's died out as many make it out to be. I've watched TS and the forums grow from a small band of us 15-20 people from OC48Gaming.com days, we've grown tremendously. We're near the 100 regulars mark guys, maybe even more.

Life goes on, we all have new things to tend to as we grow up or get older.

I know though if I 'm looking for a great server and great teammates to play with, I can find you guys on #1 or CoE...and that's what really matters to me as far as gaming goes. I 'd rather play with folks I know and played with than just random server hop and have no idea who all those other people are.

When BF:V comes out, I guarantee you the server regular list will grow a lot more.. BF1942 was what brought us all together to where we are all today, whether it be OC48 or ECGN, and BF:V will do the same... It is coming.... March 16th!

For now, let's make one last hurrah, guns blazing for the World War II days in FH on Yadad's CoE server or #1!!!

Can't wait to kick some Vietcong ass for what they did to South Vietnam, damn Commie bastards!

Cherish these moments guys, cause they may not always be around many years, or months from now..... *raises glasses* Heres' to you fine gentlemen and lady... Hear hear!

My 2 Canadian/S. Vietnamese cents. :P

PreviousNext

Return to Been Banned?