Gameplay suggestions

Make sure to bring lots of med packs, our 64 player beach server is intense!

Moderators: RTCW Admins, Super Moderators, vB3 - Administrators

Braindead

Gameplay suggestions

Postby Braindead » Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:27 pm

I used to run several quake 3 demo servers (ERK!) back in the day so gameplay balance is pretty important to me when im either running a server, or playing on one.

one thing is that there are way too many lives for each team. i think limiting the number of lives to 20 for axis and 30 for allies would be more fair.

now im not sure whether the shrub mod supports different life-limits but the reasoning behind this is too prevent too many suicide plays where some guy simply run around with a panzer and blows himself up. now its warranted in clearing the war room, and if you play smart, you'll have more than enuff lives to perform this. another problem with too many lives from the axis standpoint is that a LT. can constantly throw the remote "bunker penetrating" airstrikes by throwing one, using the /kill command, and immediately throwing another one on next respawn. this results in a near chain of airstrikes while the LT. doesnt have to for the long recharge.

another issue maybe spawn time, as normally its something like 20:35 allies:axis, and on the server its 5:15. while 5 seconds respawn for allies can be regarded as an advantage to pool up people, 7 seconds seems more appropriate, as it gives more time for people to change roles, and in most cases, avoid getting hit by the same airstrike near front bunker.

although im not crazy about flames, sometimes you need more than 2 since its always taken by the least competent players who always seem to fry themselves to death

thats all i can think of for now

Casus

We'll

Postby Casus » Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:31 pm

Thanks for the suggestions dude, MMmmGood will look into it, and if enough people support it, we can limit the amount of lifes again.

I had it set before and people majorly bitched about it.

MF

MMmmGood

Postby MMmmGood » Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:32 pm

As far as the maxlives goes, its currently at 50, and very rarely will I see someone who runs completely out of lives. The shrub mod does not allow different sides to allow different maxlives settings, however this can be lowered in the future. I'll see about putting it at 35-40.

As far as the spawn times go, i'll talk with Motha about that and see what we can work out.

MMmm

Edit: looks like we just missed each other Motha ;)

MMmmGood

Postby MMmmGood » Wed Oct 16, 2002 7:24 am

I changed the maxlives to 40 instead of 50, and set the allied spawn to 7 seconds instead of 5. I didnt think a 2 sec difference would affect gameplay that much, so I went for it.

Have a :beer: and enjoy!

Casus

UDM

Postby Casus » Wed Oct 16, 2002 7:51 am

Thanks.

:blow:

Braindead

Postby Braindead » Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:18 pm

thanks dude! :beer:

Braindead

Postby Braindead » Wed Oct 16, 2002 3:13 pm

looks like the life limit is still 50 :( you might wanna manually edit the cfg file since sometimes seta in console doesnt work permanently

MMmmGood

Postby MMmmGood » Wed Oct 16, 2002 3:47 pm

Yeah sorry bout that, I had to reboot the server this morning and it was changed back. Should be 40 now

Dragon Fart

Server settings

Postby Dragon Fart » Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:13 pm

First of all MF I would like to tell you How much I appreciate your time and effort into hosting and maintaining RTCW seemingly without any financial restitution. I ran a TFC server and gave up. I really hope you don't. We all know how hard it is to find a large room on a fat pipe with an admin keeps on issues. :D

I did see oc48 drop off for a few days and was hoping it was me not refreshing it or something on my end. I GOT SCARED
I came back in today and I noticed something's have changed. So im assuming it was down for upgrades (downgrades) . .. . . . .
This thing you have on were you cant run when your getting shot really sux. Especially when a flamer gets you, he always gets the better of you cause you cant move. I noticed you "tinkering" with the settings in the past and see you have everything running just right . .Well besides the max lives, your never gonna make everyone happy with that one (I vote for 20 axis 30 allied :D ). Just disable that hit no run thing. I don't think anyone likes it. Make him run faster maybe ? a negative number ?

Ya got a great host running if you need support you know were I am

:blow: :help:

MMmmGood

Postby MMmmGood » Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:27 pm

That leg damage thing is a feature of the Shrub mod that I thought I would try out. Guess it wasnt too hot. I turned it off just now so it should be back to normal. My next thing is to completely get rid of :flame:

Edogg

Postby Edogg » Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:40 pm

ok, first of all, ive been a long time player on yer server and i have to say it is probably the best one out there.
I wanna thank you for turning that get shot no run thing off...it just doesnt work well on a beach map with 40-50 players on it. I also don't think that turning friendly fire on would be a good idea, because again, it is a 64 man server. FF would be a teamkilling massacre on that server.
well i guess thats all i have to say for now. Again, thank you for providing a great server.

MMmmGood

Postby MMmmGood » Wed Oct 16, 2002 6:46 pm

Yeah thats why I have FF off, I dont have the time or the will power to be always kicking TKers.

FF is only on for flamers to discourage people who dont know how to use them from doing so.

Glad you guys enjoy the server!

Sir Fartsalot

Postby Sir Fartsalot » Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:34 pm

I don't care for flamers anyway. Too much of a nuisance, and it seems to slow gameplay down a lot when the server is close to being full, even with their limited number.

Casus

Guys..

Postby Casus » Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:08 am

Thanks for all the kudo's, I do the easy stuff, I provide the bandwidth and hardware, the hard part is done by MMmmGood!

Thanks Gil!

MF

[A.S.H.]ironman

Postby [A.S.H.]ironman » Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:11 pm

hi

yeah i noticed that to :when the server is almost full ,lets say 55 players..Flamers and airstrikes cause lag..is it my computer or has anyone else noticed it too?????

Next

Return to Return To Castle Wolfenstein