RTCW Study - Airstrikes

Make sure to bring lots of med packs, our 64 player beach server is intense!

Moderators: RTCW Admins, Super Moderators, vB3 - Administrators

RTCW Study - Airstrikes

Postby donka » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:58 am

Hi guys,

I'm continuing my videos about RTCW and source code.

This time i took apart the functions responsible for placing, pacing and fueling atrtillary and airstrikes. I hope you find it interesting and useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzRYZNT93LQ&hd=1
Last edited by donka on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

RTCW Admin

Re: RTCW Study - Spreadscale

Postby MAN-AT-ARMS » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:17 pm

Nice job.

FYI...
rand() % 10 (mod 10) = a random number between 0 and 9.

So, 15 + rand() % 10 = a random spreadscale value between 15-24.

Re: RTCW Study - Airstrikes

Postby donka » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:07 am

Thanks MAN , that explains a lot!

Since i double posted, i hijacked this post for my next video title.

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:55 am

Donka, I have always wanted to know certain parameters of RTCW, and you seem to be the one to ask right now. I have a next-to-zero indepth understanding of computer code, numerical depictions of variables, etc. within something like a game engine.
But here's a few things that I've wondered about:
How does ping affect when you see an enemy, and in tandem, when your bullets reach him? For instance, there are ECG regs who are in Australia, and have a 180-250 ping. When you see them (or they see you), what is a comparison value to the "usual" 50-85 ping that I see in North American players?
Secondly, when you are out of SMG ammo, and you switch to pistol, I have noticed that if you get a hit with your first pistol shot, then the next shot (and quite often the third) are also direct hits. However, if I engage with the pistol and miss with the first shot, about every other shot from then on is a guaranteed miss. I only ask this with pistol, because their rate of first is countable in the heat of battle. Ping, I bet, affects this as well.
Lastly, there are the Big Three in Wolf:
1. Don't run low stamina right before you know you are going to get into a firefight. If you do, trick them into thinking you are going to jog, when you actually just stand there.
2. If you are striking hits, keep firing because you are likely to survive - if you hesitate for a second to conserve ammo, you will die 7 out of 10 times. Confirm?

Postby donka » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:10 am

Netcode is a huge topic i won't even attempt to cover. In short, the game is happening on the server, then is replicated on your client, then you make decisions and send it back to the server where it evaluates what could/should/would happen based on what you sent and when. Add unlag functionality on top of that and you better off just flipping the table.

Here's a small window into nature of netcode
http://www.esreality.com/?a=longpost&id=2313076
and opinions
http://www.esreality.com/post/2313076/n ... p-cpma-ql/

Pistol thing - you are probably overthinking it. You always expect to hit a person. And you always have probability of hitting a person. Once those two align it might seem that you "felt" something when it's really nothing but "dreams come true" moment that occurs some percent of the time.

1. Many people employ conservation of stamina style of play. Fast dodging is very detrimental to enemy's aim. I personally think speed + positioning + team backup can overpower that philosophy. Best answer is always "depends"
2. When you are striking hits you are crippling the enemy by
a) shaking their screen
b) giving them knockback
3) filling their screen with blood
4) racing them to the finish (of health)

If it's a close fight - race fast, don't stop
If it's a long range fight - maybe's it's worth evaluating your current spread and thinking how to decrease it safely. Use the map (obstacles) and have them waste their ammo to finish them safely.

Any fight is a probability standoff. You can do everything right and lose and do something stupid and still win. Trying to maximize your chances is the only thing you can do. The hugest part of this probability is based on your position. Staring a fight with an advantage is way more important than being really good at aiming.

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:30 pm

Thanks - I appreciate the insight!

Return to Return To Castle Wolfenstein