Help me with my connection

Make sure to bring lots of med packs, our 64 player beach server is intense!

Moderators: RTCW Admins, Super Moderators, vB3 - Administrators

Wolverine

Help me with my connection

Postby Wolverine » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:48 pm

Every time i try to connect to the server it says awaiting gamestate and never connects to download map. This is very strange since i was able to connect just a few days ago. If anyone has any suggestions short of the obvious (reinstall) please reply. Thanks.:help: :help: :help:

Connection problems...

Postby Lord ZOG » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:34 pm

Hmmm...

I'm not sure if, when you were trying to connect, Motha's server was running the Beach map or the Breakout map. I remember last week he tried running an different map, and if you don't have the currently running map several things could happen, depending on your settings.

I know with Half-Life or Unreal Tournament, if you tried to connect to a server that was running a map you didn't have, it would automatically start downloading it (at pathetic 1KB/second it seems).

This is not true with RTCW. There are settings built into the game and the server that allow this, but for reasons unknown these settings have to be enabled on both the server and the client PC. It's not done automatically anymore (why, I don't know but maybe there's a good reason for this). Also, if the server isn't correctly setup for downloading specific maps you might get hung up (this is by no means an assumtpion that Motha doesn't know what he's doing, these servers have thousands of settings and some are easily missed or mis-typed. In my world Motha is GOD).

I'm assuming you've successfully connected before (I think I've seen you)? If you have and suddenly you can't, I'd try re-installing the latest patch (1.33). This has worked for me in the past.

Often I'll fail to connect for unknown reasons, so I'll reboot my machine (it sounds like Voodoo, but it can work...maybe only coincidentally, but if it works I do it).

When did this connection problem occur, and did it occur often? Could you have just caught the server on an off moment? Sometimes things will freeze up (this is, after all, a 64 player server!). In that case, Murphy's Law is most likely.

Tough to say without more info, but I've seen you playing before so I'm assuming this is just an ocassional glitch you're experiencing.
Lord ZOG

"Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit... and Jack just left town."

Wolverine

Postby Wolverine » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:48 pm

Yes i have the new patch and have been on the server quite a bit. I have just encountered problem within the past few days and i cant load the map at all. Also i do have the breakout map so hopefully thats not the problem. I guess i will try to reinstall patch. here is my comp stats:

1.33 ghz athlon xp
512 mb ram
geforce 3
cable modem

Hope this helps any.

A.S.H.SpiderMan

Postby A.S.H.SpiderMan » Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:02 pm

Hey Wolverine,

Are you behind a router? I am asking because I was having the same problems....just reset the router ofr upgrade the firmware...

One time before I had to buy a new network card also, but I can't remember the game, only that it was something that I was trying to play online.

C Ya:blow:

Sir Fartsalot

Postby Sir Fartsalot » Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:02 am

Resetting the router solved a lot of connectivity problems for me. The Linksys 4 port sometimes gets into a rut and you just gotta kick it and then pick it up and brush it off.

Wolverine

Postby Wolverine » Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:56 pm

Thanks for the suggestions I have reset my router and still have no luck getting on the server:confused:. I have sent messages to Motha and Mmmmgood maybe they can help.

More info...

Postby Lord ZOG » Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:23 pm

Just for shits and giggles;

What connection type do you have (DSL, Cable)?
What kind of router do you have?
Who's your broadband provider?
What Operating system?
What's your credit card number (just kidding)?
Lord ZOG

"Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit... and Jack just left town."

Wolverine

Postby Wolverine » Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:24 pm

I have Cable
A Linksys router
ATandT is my provider
And u may not have my credit card # :rotflmao:

Wolverine

Postby Wolverine » Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:25 pm

oops and i forgot I have windows xp :(

Firewall?

Postby Lord ZOG » Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:26 pm

Windows XP allows you to "Firewall" your LAN connection. This isn't enabled, is it?

Right-click "My Network Places", choose "Properties". Right-click your "Local Area Connection" (hopefully you'll only have one, because chances are if you have two something's wrong). Choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced" tab and make sure there's no check in that Option.

Screw firewalls...they're for the weak.

This is just a reach, really...I'm assuming you can connect to other servers? Have you been banned? Can you not connect at anytime, or juist when the server is near maxed out?
Lord ZOG

Wolverine

Postby Wolverine » Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:59 pm

Ok here is a heads up on my connection as of yesterday I was able to connect to the website, I tried it twice and it worked. I have no idea what has changed since my first post because when I tried everything suggested I got no results. Anyway as of right now I am able to connect Yeah. :D :D :D :D :D Thanks to Lord zog and Spiderman and Sir fartsalot. I appreciate all the help u guys gave me if my connection changes I will keep u guys posted and Hope to See You All on the best damn server in the world.

Casus

No

Postby Casus » Sat Oct 26, 2002 5:48 am

NO bans here on you dude.

Is it working yet?

MF

A.S.H.SpiderMan

Postby A.S.H.SpiderMan » Sat Oct 26, 2002 8:19 am

I don't know about Wolverines connection, but my connection started doing the same thing. Luckily I can still get on but only after repeated attempts.

Also some real bad lag issues last night.

Sir Fartsalot

Postby Sir Fartsalot » Sun Oct 27, 2002 4:11 pm

:mad: The problem you guys are having is not the server or your configuration or your machine at all. It's AT&T. Even if you have Comcast (which I do), Adelphia, or some Cox or Covad connections. If you connect across the AT&T backbone on the East coast, which these providers do, you'll notice horrible pings times and erratic connections from about 6 to 12 midnight most days of the week. AT&T has overloaded their switches to the point that latency is becoming a connection killer.

A.S.H.SpiderMan

Postby A.S.H.SpiderMan » Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:38 pm

Thanks for the info......I couldn't imagine it being anything with my setup.:D

Next

Return to Return To Castle Wolfenstein