Got banned. Don't know why

If you were kicked or banned from our Public BF1942 server, post here.
falcs2001

To Bulywif, Evan & Mugzy

Postby falcs2001 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:17 pm

Bulywif, I see you are a man of few words... frontal lobe injury???

You misunderstand, I don't care if you unban me or not. If you look, you will notice I have not once asked to be unbanned. I just wanted to find out why. It seems fairly arbitrary, if some admin has PMS that day, you are kicked/banned.

Whatever, this is ECGN's gig to run how ever it likes. But you, Bulywif, are an idiot.

To Evan and Mugzy, thank you for answering my questions in a civilized way. I have looked on this site for about 45 minutes to find a "rules of engagement" or BF1942 FAQ. without success. I wasn't aware of your strict rules, but I respect your right to enforce them at your discretion.

You guys do have quality servers/games. I hope you guys will be hosting Battlefield 2 games soon (with rules clearly posted!).

Later,

Corp. Punishment

Postby Mugzy » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:49 pm

If you go to the Battlefield 1942 forum:
http://forums.powervs.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=52

There is a thread that is #5 from the top:

Server Rules, Gameplay Mechanics 101, and TeamSpeak Info
Mugzy
Senior Admin
Admin tool developer

Postby Chacal » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:03 pm

He has a point though (no, not the one about Buli being an idiot). The rules are nowhere as visible as they should be. The game server says "find the rules at ecgnetwork.com", there should be a link right there at the home page. Also they should be the first sticky on the bf1942 forum and the kicked/banned BF1942 forums.

Corp. Punishment, I don't think you were the victim of a short-tempered admin. We do apply the rules in a strict but manner, but also in a fair and dispassionate manner.
Chacal

[SIZE="1"][color="LightBlue"]Reporter: "Mr Gandhi, what do you think of western civilization?"
Gandhi: "I think it would be a great idea."[/color][/SIZE]

Bullhead

Postby Bullhead » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:34 am

Originally posted by Chacal
He has a point though (no, not the one about Buli being an idiot).

NO NO NO..... he's dead on about this point too :D

And Corporal Punishment...Admins can and do make mistakes from time to time, and are even subject to making poor decisions when aggrevated (i.e. a really bad night of smackers). However, the odds of you receiving the number of kicks (and 2 bans at least) you have over a period of three months, and you NOT being a non-team player, are incredibly low. While some of our rules may not be common sense stuff (like driving to the airfield), many of them are just plain logical. Stealing a vehicle, for example. Teamkilling. Not stacking teams. etc.

Re: To Bulywif, Evan & Mugzy

Postby SGT DEVILDOG » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:49 am

Originally posted by falcs2001
Bulywif, I see you are a man of few words... frontal lobe injury???

. But you, Bulywif, are an idiot.

Corp. Punishment

I am pretty sure that this doesn’t help your case at all. :roll:
[img]DevilDog
" We are not retreating. We are attacking in a different direction" Chesty Puller...USMC

Postby yaDad » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:47 am

whata aKnucklehead...and i still laff every time i c your av DD
I have not failed...I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work.
T.A.Edison

Postby SGT DEVILDOG » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:03 am

^^ Dumbass can I now have the fullmetal jacket DI :)
[img]DevilDog
" We are not retreating. We are attacking in a different direction" Chesty Puller...USMC

Re: Some of these are kind of picky, no?

Postby residue » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:05 am

i suppose this will be for the benefit of others...

Kicked for driving to airfield in Gazala? EVERYONE drives to the airfield!
driving to the airfield is a waste of resources, especially on a 64 player server where vehicles are at a premium. if you want a plane then spawn at the airfield.

driving to the abandoned airfield is only permissable in a jeep. it is far better to use the apcs and tanks to attack and defend flags. besides, a jeep will get to the abandoned airfield faster.

Vehicle stealing? How can you take a vehicle is someone is in it already?
two examples quickly come to mind -

jumping in artillery while someone is already using it to either shoot or drive.

getting in a tank while the driver is repairing it or trying to use the top machine gun.

Too many snipers??? What in the world difference does it make what unit you pick? I've only got vision in one eye, so the sniper is the easiest soldier for me. I get wasted trying to shoot up close with machine guns.
the kit you select has a direct impact on your team. snipers are frowned upon more than scouts since they do not call for artillery targets and high numbers of them ruin gameplay and can lead to massively frustrating rounds.

I have only TKed by accident (bomb drop) or when someone TKed me first.
revenge tks are not permitted. contact an admin if you see someone causing trouble.

Kicked for minus score? Have you guys not ever been repeatedly spawn-killed when Allies have all bases?
the bot kicks scores of -6. i don't really see what this has to do with being spawn killed.

Team switching? I like to play on AXIS so I switch to it if it auto-spawns me on Allied. If that is against rules, I'll quit.
i kick for team jumping/switching

1) if a player has been playing a round and then switches sides (usually when the side being switched to has gained an advantage)

or

2) when a player joins the server and is in danger of triggering auto balance by grossly imbalancing the teams. it is unfair when players that have expended significant effort for their team are moved over to the other side simply because someone else joins in the middle of the round and effectively bumps them.

Too bad there is not a log file of all the times I have spent the whole game on AA to protect bases, or marking artillery targets, or suiciding to come back as a mech to repair a teammates tank.
however, there is a record of the times you have shot at teammates, camped for planes, used offensive language,
and ignored admin requests :mad:

Sounds like some short-tempered folks have been given the Admin keys...
in this case, short tempers are probably the effect - not the cause.

Postby SGT DEVILDOG » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:29 am

Residue, you did a nice job. I had the same answers, but I did not want to waste my time. You are the man. :beer:
[img]DevilDog

falcs2001

Postby falcs2001 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:11 pm

PREFACE: I re-iterate that I am not requesting an un-ban. I just wanted to comment on your methods.

Residue, Thanks for the clarification. I wish I had known these edicts before-hand!! I see where one of you suggested making the FAQ for your rules on the front page. That seems like a great idea (albeit too late for me). However you can see some contradictions in your very own post!

You say not to drive to airplanes. If I want a plane, spawn at the airfield. Ok, I do that and I get kicked for plane camping??? NOTE: when you kick someone, they don't get a message about why. It just says kicked. For someone who doesn't know this litany of rules, how do you know what you did?

I think if you look at that list of kicks it is pretty obvious they are mosty because of ignorance of the rules rather than malicious bad behavior. The ban for foul language is totally legit though. I remember that one. I was drunk and said some derogatory remarks about stinky yellow people or something like that.

At the very least, you guys should put some kind of repeating console entry that says "Read the FAQ at HttP:xxxxxxxx" then NOBODY has an excuse for breaking your rules and all bans should be permanent.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to talk to me about this. Hopefully this thread will be an eye-opener for other players.

falcs2001

Postby falcs2001 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:33 pm

Oh yeah. Mugzy, thanks for the FAQ link. That is exactly what I was looking for.

See you guys on Battlefield 2!

Bullhead

Postby Bullhead » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:33 pm

You say not to drive to airplanes. If I want a plane, spawn at the airfield. Ok, I do that and I get kicked for plane camping??? NOTE: when you kick someone, they don't get a message about why. It just says kicked. For someone who doesn't know this litany of rules, how do you know what you did?

Plane camping is a different offense from driving to the airfield/planes. Plane camping is when all of your teams airplanes are already airborne and in use, and no more will be spawning until one of the currently airborne ones crashes. This tends to happen the worst on El Alamein, Gazala, and Wake, but it does happen on other maps. This is a kickable offense, because once again you are not helping your team at all, you are just standing around at the airfield. Usually, you will receive at least one in-game warning for this prior to being kicked, although it can be missed with all the other chat going on on-screen.

Postby residue » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:57 pm

NOTE: when you kick someone, they don't get a message about why. It just says kicked. For someone who doesn't know this litany of rules, how do you know what you did?
some kick messages are delayed so that the player has a few seconds to read the reason. this does not happen uniformly because the current delay is non-adjustable and is often unreasonably long. still, the screen usually freezes when you are kicked giving you a couple seconds to see the message.

players are also welcome to come to this forum and ask why they were kicked. normally people don't wait to be kicked so many times before inquiring. kick reasons can also be found here as stated in the forums.

I think if you look at that list of kicks it is pretty obvious they are mosty because of ignorance of the rules rather than malicious bad behavior. The ban for foul language is totally legit though. I remember that one. I was drunk and said some derogatory remarks about stinky yellow people or something like that.
unfortunately for you, as in real life, ignorance is not an excuse. i vaguely remember the ban on wake since i was the one that placed it.

At the very least, you guys should put some kind of repeating console entry that says "Read the FAQ at HttP:xxxxxxxx" then NOBODY has an excuse for breaking your rules and all bans should be permanent.

i believe a message about reading the rules is already included among the server announcements broadcast every 2-3 minutes.

Rule of Wrist

Postby Rule of Wrist » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:59 pm

Originally posted by SGT DEVILDOG
^^ Dumbass can I now have the fullmetal jacket DI :)

Pfft... you're not worthy of R. Lee Ermey :P

Maybe Sgt Hulka from Stripes :D

Postby SGT DEVILDOG » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:24 am

^^^ Thank you
[img]DevilDog

Previous

Return to Battlefield 1942