banned for owning

If you were kicked or banned from our Public BF1942 server, post here.
>MÖB<Smokeya

banned

Postby >MÖB<Smokeya » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:44 am

I was banned yesterday on your server after owning serveral ecgn members, not warned, not kicked.........BANNED!!! For what?!? and don't give me that stuff about extended ascii characters, it says nothing in your rules about them. So lets here it, give me your excuse.

AnimalCracka

Postby AnimalCracka » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:21 am

I wasnt even there but since you mentioned extended ascii characters, Im assuming you have them in your name.

Rule #1- Cheating: use of any hack, bug, or map exploit. Admins know all of them and are watching. This includes very short or invisible player names.

We consider it a hack here. Simple as that.

Re: banned for owning

Postby SGT DEVILDOG » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:33 am

Originally posted by >MÖB<Smokeya
So lets here it, give me your lamest excuse.

Where would you like it? You actually sound toooooo cool to play here. If I were the admin that banned you it would be permanent just for your response. Although, what do I know I am just a nerd.:tard: :violin:
[img]DevilDog
" We are not retreating. We are attacking in a different direction" Chesty Puller...USMC

Postby residue » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:33 am

i banned you for your blatant use of a name to appear invisible while playing on market garden. this is against the rules.

you weren't "owning" but instead were annoying since every related server message showed simply as "Player".

>MÖB<Smokeya

Postby >MÖB<Smokeya » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:09 pm

The rule is mean to weed out guys who use abreviated or names that you cannot see when you put your crosshair on them. True My name sometimes does not show up in the middle of the screen in yellow as the person that killed you. This is not intentional on my part and is not an attemp to gain any advantage ( which it does not) over the opponent. However if you really need to know who just shot you, just look at the text on the left and my name will appear. This can in no way be viewed as "hacking" or "glitching". My name shows up very clearly if you put your crosshair on me. You need to reevaluate what the rules are there for and reconsider the ban.

Postby Chacal » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:44 pm

I would reconsider the ban, but I'm too pathetic.
Chacal

[SIZE="1"][color="LightBlue"]Reporter: "Mr Gandhi, what do you think of western civilization?"
Gandhi: "I think it would be a great idea."[/color][/SIZE]

AnimalCracka

Postby AnimalCracka » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:46 pm

You come in here talking a whole bunch of trash and being insulting, then you start telling us what our rules actually mean like you wrote them :roll: . To top it off, your telling us what we need to do. I got news for ya, we dont need to do anything except sh*t and breath. Now its up to Res, but if it were me, you'd stay banned. Have a nice day.

>MÖB<Smokeya

Postby >MÖB<Smokeya » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:58 pm

Wow, that was rational. Ok I'll step up to the plate and appologize for the flame. Its very aggravating to be kick from a server when you are doing well without warning, it borders on rude, hell what am I saying it is rude! You should try it sometime........lol. Now maybe we can move on and settle this thing using common sense and keep in mind what we are trying to do here; have fun.

Postby residue » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:53 pm

i know very well what effect your nick had. you killed me once and i couldn't tell who or what killed me. after some investigating, i realized that your name was triggering the essentially blank server messages (not just for kills) and banned you. had it not been such a pain to figure out the offending name i might have opted for a warning.

i make a point of returning the favor when someone kills me. did you ever consider that other people didn't even know who to hunt down since your name did not appear? i seriously doubt that this was an accident and that the ascii choice was unintentional.

post a reminder here on monday and i will reconsider. however, you are expected to remove any offending characters from your name. i'd also advise against any future half assed apologies. go read the server rules over the weekend.

Postby -HaVoC- » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:56 am

DOH!
-

"Now, if things look bad, and it looks like your not going to make it, then you've got to get mean, I mean plum mad dog mean, 'cause if you lose your head and give up then you neither live nor win, and that's just the way it is."

- The Outlaw Josey Wales -

put me on the team that Harry aint on....I sure miss shooting him and if im on the same team as HaVoC...OMFG we will stomp a mudhole in you and walk it dry.

- YaDad -

>MÖB<Smokeya

Postby >MÖB<Smokeya » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:12 am

There thats much more like it, I knew I could cound on you res for a more rational answer. However, I will say that my apology is not "half assed" and is sincere. True the ascii chararters are intentional but not for the reasons you think. Our entire clan began using hidden characters in our tag after some yo-yo slapped our original clan tag onto some degrading name and used it to be a smacktard, dragging down our clan rankings. I don't understand why you had such a hard time finding my name, it always shows up in the server text. Thats usually how I figure out who killed me. After being killed the map pops up obscuring your vision so I almost always have to hit the tilde key to see who it was. I can be reasoned with, if you would have told me that ascii charaters are not allowed in the server I may have considered changing my tag or left on my own, vs banning me, me getting pissed off, and coming in here and flaming. See how that works, kind of a domino thing, there is always two sides to the story. Im just trying to explain my part (how it started) and again, I apologize for the flame.

Postby SGT DEVILDOG » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:25 am

Smokeya, that was a good choice to edit your original post.
[img]DevilDog
" We are not retreating. We are attacking in a different direction" Chesty Puller...USMC

Postby residue » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:59 am

thank you for agreeing to abide by the clearly stated server rules.

normally it's a very bad idea to plead your case with an insult laden thread called "banned for owning". if you insist on that approach in the future then you might want to at least get your story straight.
True My name sometimes does not show up in the middle of the screen in yellow as the person that killed you. This is not intentional on my part...
True the ascii chararters are intentional but not for the reasons you think.
here's how it works - you break the rules, you get banned. you post here insulting everyone, you stay banned. it's a domino effect. this would be the rational response from any other admin.

note - i only stated that i would reconsider the ban (pending your name rectification and attitude adjustment).

>MÖB<Smokeya

Postby >MÖB<Smokeya » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:24 pm

I'm not saying that I am going to change my clan tag. I still don't agree with your interpretation of the rule, unless you are the one who wrote it, then I stand corrected. I still feel the rule is there to prevent players from using tags that are not visible when putting the crosshair on them, we've all seen this before, it gives the player a clear advantage in gameplay. Maybe you can clarify this rule for me, give me your interpretation on it and why my tag gives me an an advantage in the game. My tag not showing in yellow text in the middle of the screen after a kill or death was an unknown side effect of the hidden characters. In the year that Ive had it there have been a few people that have complained about it, but very few and no admins have ever said anything to me about it, or warned me about it, or kicked me over it, and certainly not banned me for it.

Postby residue » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:58 pm

the tag gives you an unfair advantage because it makes it difficult for other players to identify your kills or the weapon you used. suggesting that players should press tilde each time to determine their killer is unreasonable. in fact, i recall having trouble locating you in either the tab scoreboard or the remote manager and every server message with your name only displayed as "Player".

if you were using the ascii characters for a year then it's highly unlikely that it was still an unknown side effect.

if you choose not to change your tag then the ban stays. if you don't agree with the rule or its interpretation you are free to play elsewhere. the onus is on you to explain why you should be allowed back, not on us to justify bans to your satisfaction.

Next

Return to Battlefield 1942