What do you think about tweaking?

Got questions about ECGN? Ask here, and you shall be enlightened.

Do you tweak?

Total votes : 0
El Cid

What do you think about tweaking?

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:10 am

I was just wondering what everyone thought about tweaking cvar's in the configuration files to improve gameplay. My video card is not very good, and when I play wolf I get slow frame rates compared to players playing on Geforce or ATI cards. So for me turning down the res, shadows, and reducing image detail can improve gameplay. But some players use graphics cards which can more than handle wolf at the even the highest graphics settings. So is anyone tweaking?

(>Tool<)

Postby (>Tool<) » Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:37 am

I'm just doing your normal old vid card overclock, nothing special.:D

El Cid

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:43 am

how do you overclock you vid card?

(>Tool<)

Postby (>Tool<) » Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:48 am

Well thanks to edogg, I looked up this program called power strip. it allows me to OC my vid card, memory OC and GPU OC. I suggest doing a little homework before overclocking or, look for an old thread of mine called "MMmmGood Overclocking please advise"

El Cid

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:54 am

Ok, you know my 16 mb vid card is precious, so, we have to be careful!

(>Tool<)

Postby (>Tool<) » Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:58 am

Well yeah man, do be careful, basically what I did was build a fan on the heat sink of my vid card (cost $5 but I got 5 finger discount on that [not a theft]) then slowly pushed the memory clock and gpu clock up higher and higher, testing every little increment with 3dmark 2001SE to make sure the OC wasn't causeing garbled sceens, then when it would get garbled put the settings back to your last one and leave it, you can turn the overclock on, play games then turn it back off so your card isn't always working itself to death. key is work slowly so's not to over do your vid card cause that can be deadly to the card, if you just work slow its quite safe I think.

El Cid

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:22 am

Ok, I think thats too much of a pain in the ass. That part about putting the fan on did it for me. (Busting out the soldering iron). But you say 3dmark 2001se huh? If I do decide to oc then I know. And you say go slow. Thanks.

(>Tool<)

Postby (>Tool<) » Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:58 am

Sure man, the fan just screws right into the heatsink though, its a rather easy installation. anymore questions send em my way mangg!

El Cid

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:49 pm

Thanks, I guess thats not too bad Serg.

El Cid

Postby El Cid » Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:08 pm

If anybody wants a RTCW tweak I made here is where you can download it. You can't play on some servers because the overbrights are at 5, but otherwise it's pretty normal, and should increase FPS.

(>Tool<)

Postby (>Tool<) » Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:01 pm

Say Cid, could you tell me which lines are crutial to the FPS deal, I know the obvious ones like max fps and such but I don't want all your binds and crap I have my own. thanks my good fellow.;)

El Cid

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:50 pm

Okay, I removed the binds from the config file, so downloading it again should be bind free. I should have remembered that. So, installing it now, should only give you faster FPS. Carrying over your binds should be pretty simple. If your binds are in the autoexec file, then you shouldnt have to do anything. If your binds are on a wolfconfig file then I think you should open it, copy everything that says bind (at the beginnning of the document), and paste it into the beginnig of the tweaked config file after the comand 'unbindall' in that file. hope it works.

El Cid

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:55 pm

oh by the way to answer your question the binds that are crucial to the FPS will begin with 'seta' in the wolfconfig file, but they wont in the auto exec. The variables (cvar's) you can set to increase FPS are 'picmip', 'overbrights', and a lot of others I forget. Here is a resource webpage that showed me everything. Ok ttyl.

Return to Q&A