BF1942: Multi Servers on 1 System

Got questions about ECGN? Ask here, and you shall be enlightened.
KamiKaze

BF1942: Multi Servers on 1 System

Postby KamiKaze » Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:10 am

Not to sound repetative but why do you guys run multipul servers on the same machine. Especially when BF1942 takes ALOT of CPU power even to run 1 server.

I notice on the IP of 205.177.13.10, you guys are running 3 different servers. This causes ALOT of lag and very bad frame rates.

Is it because you dont have anymore servers? Im just wondering because that is VERY unwise to run more then 1 on a system. :blow:

MMmmGood

Postby MMmmGood » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:22 pm

We know what we are doing, trust us :)

KamiKaze

Postby KamiKaze » Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:06 pm

Oh is that why it was laggin pretty bad on one of the servers that had 3 servers running on 1 machine.. if thats what you want to happen...

MMmmGood

Postby MMmmGood » Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:20 pm

Again, just because there is 3 servers on one IP doesnt mean that we run the same amount of BF servers on another box.

A windows box can have more than one IP address on it. We have another machine that has 3 IPs and 6 servers running on it with no problem. I hate to be rude, but you need to go re-take your MCSE class before you come here trying to tell me how to run my servers.

Have a nice day :)

KamiKaze

Postby KamiKaze » Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:33 pm

im not tryin to be rude either, im just letting you know the server with 3 games on it was laggin pretty bad.

Is there a way for the user to request for his paid server to be put on a box seperately?

MMmmGood

Postby MMmmGood » Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:47 pm

I am just saying that the IPs 204.157.6.21, 204.157.6.22, and 204.157.6.23 are all on one box, and none of those lag :)

We can give you your own dedicated server, but it will cost A LOT more per month. We havent gotten any requests yet as far as that goes, so I dont have a price to quote you.

Casus

Postby Casus » Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:30 pm

In our testing, the P4 2.4's can handle about 55 total players spread across at most 3 running servers on a single cpu, with the OS tweaked and memory tweaked.

I do have some p4 2.0's running dedicated at 32 players or more.

Find me a single gaming company doing an entire box dedicated to a BF1942 player count under 32 users, find me just one!

Tom

KamiKaze

Postby KamiKaze » Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:36 am

Originally posted by Casus
In our testing, the P4 2.4's can handle about 55 total players spread across at most 3 running servers on a single cpu, with the OS tweaked and memory tweaked.

I do have some p4 2.0's running dedicated at 32 players or more.

Find me a single gaming company doing an entire box dedicated to a BF1942 player count under 32 users, find me just one!

Tom

http://www.serverforrent.com

Casus

Postby Casus » Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:42 am

I'd love to know their specs, esp for a 16 player server and a 32 player.

Plus, what makes you so sure they are doing 1 server per machine? I can add IP's to a server and hide that fact.

Do you have a server with them?

Tom

KamiKaze

Postby KamiKaze » Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:47 am

Im not tryin to nag anyone, Im just saying that i am seeing some pretty weird things happening on a box you guys host with lag and spikes without pings jumping but everyone feels them. The box imparticular im talking about is 205.177.13.10. In the past 24 hours that server (port 23001) crashed, crashed again, and once more, then the port was switched from 23001 to 23002 and when it was switched back all the settings on that server were erased. It now shows up as "Rent me At OC48Gaming.Com"

Now i ping a good 50 to this server and I get spikes now and then. This isnt from my internet because it only happens on your server. I dont know if it is the route or not but everyone in the room feels it. Im not on cable, its a 6000/384 ADSL line. I even get smoother gameplay on some 120 ms servers.

Im just trying to let you know that even though your P4 may support 55 players, does that incorperate the extra CPU power needed to switch maps on one or two servers at once? Not sure if you calculated that out(im sure you probably did but i havent seen a decent 64 player server, even with 2.8 ghz)

Might try limiting machines to 2 servers each with a max of 48-50 players. (16 - 22, 24 - 24, 20, 24 etc etc).

If you want I have a tracert and a ping test of about 250 packets or so if you need them for whatever reason. I just would like to get a pretty good game in without a spike.. and you guys being a gamer im guessing would beleive in the same concept.

:flame:

KamiKaze

Postby KamiKaze » Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:49 am

Had a server with them, T3 doesnt hold many clients when you have about 6 machines on a T3 with 24 players each...

But no, i dont know for a fact, infact I probably wont know for a fact unless I actually go down there and look ;) :P

Edit: On the server we had, it was a 1800 mhz with 24 players.

Casus

Postby Casus » Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:54 am

Oh, we do agree, we are aware of the problems on that server, and are in the process of trying to fix them, but need to identify them.

Yes, the lag may be cpu related, thats not a problem, I can fix that quickly. The other things you are seeing there, that you mentioned, are giving us a bit more trouble trying to trouble shoot and figure it out.

Yes, I'd like to see your traceroutes and pings, you bet! I appreciate your comments and helpfullness with this, that machine will be updated and 1 server moved to a new one getting turned up Monday.

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming!

Tom

KamiKaze

Postby KamiKaze » Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:56 am

Heres the ping results

KamiKaze

Postby KamiKaze » Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:57 am

and the Tracert, I blocked my last digits ;) security reasons of course :)

Casus

Postby Casus » Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:00 am

Kami, thanks!

Stick with us, we'll fix this, I guarantee it. Lag and bad game play will only hurt us in the long run, so I am anal about making sure all of our stuff works and runs the way it should so all our customers have a good gaming experience with us!

Tom

Next

Return to Q&A