Q&A on the joining of OC48 and ECGN.

Got questions about ECGN? Ask here, and you shall be enlightened.
Casus

Q&A on the joining of OC48 and ECGN.

Postby Casus » Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:19 pm

Please keep your questions posted in here, we will update this section with new Q&A's as they come in.

Thanks!
Tom

Email sent to customers and members of OC48 and ECGN.
-----

Fellow Gamers,

I am writing to you to share some exciting news that is taking place in the Gaming Service Provider (GSP) industry, the joining of forces between OC48Gaming.Com and East Coast Gaming Network.

I would like to say “We’re sorry” upfront for two things. One, that this coming together of OC48 and ECGN happened so quickly and without advance notice, that was not the intention. And two, the length of this correspondence, please do read though it all, as it should answer most, if not all, of the questions you may have about this exciting time in the gaming community!

First, a brief background:

ECGN is a dominant GSP in the HL/CS arena, whereas OC48 is a leader in the high-resource games such as BattleField 1942, Medal of Honor, etc.

The Future of ECGN and what it means for you, the gamer?

It means we are combining the best of OC48 and ECGN, the positive things you have become used to, as well as the things you should expect and demand from your Gaming Provider - low latency, fast pings, fast lag-free Dual-Xeon servers, and of course service and support second to no one, and I mean NO ONE!

It means market leading prices, period. Based on a comparison of our top competitors, we are the cheapest across the board, from Counter Strike, to RTCW, to BattleField1942! Check for yourself on our site http://www.ecgnetwork.com/order.php and if you do find a cheaper price from a reputable GSP (not some guy, a PC, and a DSL connection) let us know, we will match or beat their price!

It means an active gaming community forum, with over 6M hits per month, and over 20,000 posts, and 1,000 active members and growing! Come talk to Shrub, the famous author of Shrubmod or Kevlar of BF1942 BFSM fame, or any number of game modders and coders, etc.

It means a network of ECGN servers that our customers and potential customers can play on, the #1 RTCW server for many months straight, or how about not one, but two 60+ player BF1942 servers!! And soon to come, some BIG CS/HL/DoD servers! And the really cool part of this? How about active admins in all the games to keep them “clean” and providing a sense of teamwork, which online gaming should be about!

In closing, I ask you to remember one thing, “Change Happens!” Change isn’t always bad, and it is usually good for the most part. Sure, things are going to be different; you may feel uncomfortable on the “other companies” site, etc. I ask you to please give us time to get everything in place and worked out.

We are human, and therefore I can assure you of one thing, we will make mistakes; we may even turn your server off by accident, but please, be understanding and give us a chance to make you a happy customer. ECGN Staff is 100% committed to providing quality customer service and support. And if you have an issue that you can’t get resolved via our normal support channels, please email me directly at tom@ecgnetwork.com.

So, come frag and chat with us, what have you got to lose?

ECGN Staff
ECGN - We are the Future of Online Gaming!

So, now for the really important stuff! A list of the most common questions and answers ECGN staff has had asked of them the last 72 hours. If your question isn’t listed here, ask us on the forums at http://forums.powervs.com where we have a running FAQ, and we’ll get an answer for you!

What happened, why did this take place? OC48 and ECGN share a common vision – becoming the best GSP in the industry and by joining forces this is a first step towards that vision.

What happened to the staff of ECGN? Other then them being tired from a lot of hard work, nothing! Ryan, Dan, Evan, Donny, and yes, Nate, are all still around! Plus the addition of Charles, Tom, Jon, Kristov, Colt, and a few others.

Is Nate is still part of ECGN? Yes, Nate is committed to being around and making the new ECGN continue to flourish.

Why did this happen so fast without giving us any notice? We had planned on making an announcement first, and then doing a slow migration over the next 30 to 60 days, unfortunately this wasn’t possible as we had hoped it would be. We had to go into “rush mode” and get things merged over this past weekend.

Man, the new website is so ugly what’s the deal!?! It’s a start, and will be improved upon over time. Our Webmaster CyberPrune is working hard on the new site already!

So, what’s going to change now, you’re going to raise or double and triple the prices now right? Not at all, actually our prices are going DOWN! Check out the pricing page at http://www.ecgnetwork.com/order.php for new pricing. I’ll summarize here, prices starting at $4 per player slot for RTCW, and $4.25 for CS, DoD, TFC, etc. This is over $1 dollar cheaper then the old ECGN Silver Public packages!

I don’t see private server prices, what is happening to private servers?!?! You are correct; ECGN will no longer offer private servers for new orders. BUT, if you have a private server with us today, we will honor that price for at LEAST 60 days (all of March and April). We will reevaluate this decision on a weekly basis, and assure you that your private servers will not be turned off.

What about free server(s), I have a free server with you!? Free servers are bad business practice; we will look at each free server on a case by case basis, and make a decision then. We have some sponsored servers for people like Shrub, but not many. Unless your free server can get great exposure for ECGN, we cannot absorb the cost it, we are sorry.

You guys are crazy, why no private servers, what about my private server?!?! Private servers take up the same resources in terms of server usage, support time, etc, and it doesn’t make sense to keep offering private servers and still try and make ECGN profitable. As mentioned earlier, IF you have a private server with ECGN today, it will remain for at LEAST 60 days.

My RTCW price is lower then the new prices, are you going to raise them? No, the $3 per RTCW player slot was a promotional offer, and we have no intention of raising those prices. Just as we will honor old ECGN customers prices on public servers, we will also honor old OC48 customers prices.

What about the ECGN LAN Party? ECGN will not be having the LAN party. Nate and Trevor are still discussing if they are going to hold this event on their own. I suggest you contact one of them for more information on the LAN party. ECGN is thinking about holding an event such as this down in the Virginia/Washington DC area, perhaps with GameCon 2003, we will update you guys when we know more.

OK, what about billing, what will change? We will be moving to a once a month billing cycle starting on April 1st, 2003. This means everyone will receive a bill on April 1st for the month of April’s game hosting. Your bill is due on receipt, and after 5 days becomes past-due which means the server is then turned down. After 5 more days if the bill is not paid, your server is deleted, and if you wish to have it turned back online, you need to signup for a new server. IT IS CRITICAL THAT WE HAVE THE EMAIL ADDRESS OF THE PERSON PAYING FOR THE SERVER SINCE OUR BILLING SYSTEM SEND ALL BILLS OUT VIA EMAIL!

I’m confused, please explain? Sure. April 1st, you will get a bill for your game server via email. If you pay it by April 6th, no problem, you’re set until May 1st. If you do not pay it by April 6th, the game server is turned off, and you must make payment for it to be reactivated. If you still do not pay by April 10th, your server is deleted from the system to make room for new orders, and you must sign up for a new server if so desire.

What forms of payments will you accept? We take credit cards (Visa/MC/Amex), as well as cash, checks, money order, and most importantly PayPal!!

How can I get support from you guys? The normal means still exist, #ecgn-support on GamesNet, via our online helpdesk at http://support.ecgnetwork.com, via email at support@ecgnetwork.com, and via our Technical Support area on our Forums. And yes, if we are on Instant Messenger, feel free to ping us.

I have more questions, where and how can I get them answered? Not a problem, post them on our Forums here: http://www.ecgn.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1729.

#1HiTPoInT

Postby #1HiTPoInT » Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:05 pm

Great, man!!! Thanks for the update on which all of us were curious!

(>Tool<)

Postby (>Tool<) » Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:31 pm

I guess this means no hopes for us little people being tried in admin spots (what a horrible thing to hope for) but anyways F*ck adminning cause you'll tell me that anyways, where the hell is MMmmGood?????, this place will not be the same without MMmmGood. it feels fake without MMmmGood adding in his comments, I think me and the guys really looked up to him.

Casus

Postby Casus » Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:36 pm

MMmmGood is around dude...just been busy as hell.

Tom

Casus

Postby Casus » Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:52 pm

Where do I mail my payment to?

You can mail payments to:

ECGN
Attn Accts Receivables
PO Box 220838
Chantilly, VA 20153

Please remember to mail payments early enough to not miss the due dates!!!!

Tom

rust

Postby rust » Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:58 pm

Well.That just answered my one and only question.And
I didnt even need to ask :D

Postby Chacal » Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:29 am

What is (was) a private server?

Freedom

Postby Freedom » Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:56 am

Uhh, I'll apologize in advance for my stupid questions but what exactly do you mean by "private" servers? Do you mean "dedicated" servers?

I would think that there are private servers and public servers, and then there are dedicated servers and shared servers. I can understand not having anymore "dedicated" servers, but why no more "private" servers? I mean, what would we be paying for?

Like I said, I'm new to this so I apologize if it is just my lack of understanding the terminology.

MMmmGood

Postby MMmmGood » Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:19 am

When we say Private servers we mean passworded 24/7 and not open to the public.

Postby Chacal » Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:31 pm

NOW I'm lost :confused:

If I rent a server I can't put a password on it? Why would I pay for a public server?

MMmmGood

Postby MMmmGood » Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:49 pm

You can put a password on it.

Before ECGN used to charge special rates if there was ALWAYS a password on it. It uses less bandwidth and resources. We dropped this and made the pricing universal.

Re: Q&A on the joining of OC48 and ECGN.

Postby Chacal » Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:51 pm

Originally posted by Casus

I would like to say “We’re sorry” upfront for two things. One, that this coming together of OC48 and ECGN happened so quickly and without advance notice

It happened "sooner than we thought". You should work for DICE!

What happened, why did this take place? OC48 and ECGN share a common vision – becoming the best GSP in the industry and by joining forces this is a first step towards that vision.

Wow. You answered the question without really saying anything. You should work for EA! When did you learn corporate speak? :D :D

Plus the addition of Charles, Tom, Jon, Kristov, Colt, and a few others.

Who's Charles? :confused:

(>Tool<)

Postby (>Tool<) » Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:00 pm

Originally posted by MMmmGood
When we say Private servers we mean passworded 24/7 and not open to the public.

:D :D :D :D :D nice to hear ya man.

Casus

Re: Re: Q&A on the joining of OC48 and ECGN.

Postby Casus » Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:25 pm

Originally posted by Chacal

Wow. You answered the question without really saying anything. You should work for EA! When did you learn corporate speak? :D :D

Who's Charles? :confused:

Charles is one of the founders of OC48 and our lead back-end technical guy, programming, etc.

He isn't much of a gamer, but is the guy making all the "systems" talk to each other etc.

Tom

Charles

Postby Charles » Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:03 pm

Charles does not exist. Tom just doesn't want you to think it's just him so he made "Charles" up. Lies, Lies, Lies :)

Next

Return to Q&A