Ask away...

Got questions about ECGN? Ask here, and you shall be enlightened.
Casus

Ask away...

Postby Casus » Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:17 pm

Want to know more about the network? The servers? Our provider(s)?

Ask away...I'll answer what we can!

MF

Braindead

Postby Braindead » Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:36 pm

just wondering, is this your 48 trunk or is it part of your company? what other services do you provide? (ISP,WEBHOSTING,ETC)

when i used to run quake servers, 3 x 12 players used to consume a 50K UP limit, which would end up in 2-3GB usage by the end of the month. how much does just the RTCW netcode consume?

[TBAR]BugerBomb

Postby [TBAR]BugerBomb » Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:49 pm

I've always wondered how much bandwidth an RTCW server needs but no one seems to have a definite answer. In theory since you can limit people tolike 8 or 10 kbps you should only need like 512 up for 32 players, but in reality I think its like a couple of megs.

Casus

Traffic stats info for servers...

Postby Casus » Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:16 pm

For those folks interested in the traffic stats, here is some info:

The RTCW MRTG Stats:
http://www.deftechgroup.com/mrtg/switch/205.177.13.11_2.html

The Usage stats for it:
http://205.177.13.2/mrtg/switch/205.177.13.11_2.total.2002.html

In summary, it uses about 500GB of transfer per month.

The Battlefield 1942 MRTG Stats:
http://204.157.6.3/mrtg/switch1/204.157.6.5_33.html

The Usage status for it:
http://204.157.6.3/mrtg/switch1/204.157.6.5_33.total.2002.html

My guess is the BF1942 server will use at least 500GB if not more, that is of course, if it stops crashing! ;)

linux

Postby aleste » Sun Oct 20, 2002 10:01 pm

What distro do you use for hosting game servers ?

The logo i added doubles for meaning, makes it kinda convienent..

I been using Mandrake for the last few releases.. still haven't gotten alot of the major things down in Linux..

but i can use it and install and run most(some) apps :)

Casus

Mainly..

Postby Casus » Sun Oct 20, 2002 10:05 pm

We use RH mostly, and have done some testing with BSD.

MF

Postby SilverSurfer » Mon Oct 21, 2002 12:37 pm

hey mothafucka how do we get a pic like your pinguin below our name
stupid question i know

but ive been looking everywhere perhaps i just missed it but i coudnt find the answer anywhere

grtz king of the clips:beer:
headshot
drunk
siL
my space

Sir Fartsalot

Postby Sir Fartsalot » Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:46 pm

paperclip:

got to the user control panel and then go to Edit Options. At the bottom is the avatar. you can upload your own or choose from the ones proloaded on the server. The avatar is the pic that appears below your name like MF's killer penguin and my Gundam Deathscythe.

In Game chats from "GOD"

Postby Lord ZOG » Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:22 pm

Hey Motha...

I've been playing on your server for a few months and recently ended up chatting with you during the game.

You were able to display your chats in the center of the screen, ala' the Shrub Mod's MOTD service (or so it seemed).

How did you do this? What commands do you use? I have a server (which pales in comparison to yours) but I'd like to make live announcements to my players.

I have some messages set via a script file, that rotate every 120 seconds, but your messages were live and impromptu...
Lord ZOG

"Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit... and Jack just left town."

Sir Fartsalot

Postby Sir Fartsalot » Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:30 pm

Heh. I was playing the other day and noticed Motha's comments about being the "Alpha and the Omega" as hilarious. I came in halfway through a conversation he was apparently having with the players on at the time, and it took me a minute to realize that it was him.

Postby SilverSurfer » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:26 am

i never met him in a game to bad
and i play often so....

is he a good player just wondering
headshot
drunk
siL
my space

MMmmGood

Re: In Game chats from "GOD"

Postby MMmmGood » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:20 pm

Originally posted by S.S. Lord ZOG
Hey Motha...

I've been playing on your server for a few months and recently ended up chatting with you during the game.

You were able to display your chats in the center of the screen, ala' the Shrub Mod's MOTD service (or so it seemed).

How did you do this? What commands do you use? I have a server (which pales in comparison to yours) but I'd like to make live announcements to my players.

I have some messages set via a script file, that rotate every 120 seconds, but your messages were live and impromptu...

This is using the command /RCON CP (what i want to say)

Bleeding Motha dry of info...

Postby Lord ZOG » Sat Oct 26, 2002 5:38 pm

Man I hate to keep glomming off your hard work, but more questions.

I noticed recently center screen announcements of "Best Accuracy", "Most Kills" and "Most Property Damage" at the end of rounds. I know this is usually displayed in one big mish-mash at the end of a round in the upper part of the screen, but it's hard to notice and it's not as neat as the way I saw your server display it (center screen, one catagory a a time).

What's the server-side command for this?

As usual, I appreciate any info....thanks muchly, Motha.
Lord ZOG

"Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit... and Jack just left town."

MMmmGood

Postby MMmmGood » Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:18 pm

This command is part of the new Shrub mod that has not been released yet. Once Shrub releases it on Monday I believe, he will have a list as usual on his site with the files.

http://www.planetwolfenstein.com/shrub/

Return to Q&A