Music! My other passion

Do you like Rock? Do you like Hip Hop? Or are you the type that likes to ease back and listen to some classical music? Either way, let us know! Welcome to the ECGN music section!
RTCW Admin

Re: Music! My other passion

Postby EurO » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:36 pm

Ugh Hayling, you want MORE reviews when you didn't like my first ones? :P
Plus, if you like the quieter, minimalist stuff, how can you give Carbon Based Lifeforms a 7.1?
This is like Chopin trying to understand how people listen to, and connect a preference to, certain musical styles.
Buuuuuut, I'll spend another hour listening to the tracks you suggest.
Send me an mp3 to work with so I can show you!

Oh, Magus, I agree that it would be tough to reduce "The Magic Flute" to less than 3 minutes. What I am more looking at is modern, contemporary music that is mostly constructed in 4/4 time. There is a lot of build-up, extended bridges, and long run-outs in music these days, so compressing them is the objective. I have watched people when they listen to music. If a particular song does not meet their "preference criteria" within a certain amount of time, they tune out (no pun intended) and more-or-less stop listening to, and encoding, that song. However, if I can just keep their attention long enough with a change or surprise, they might listen longer. And if they do, they will attach a riff, melody, or beat to that song so that when they ever hear it again, it will be recognizable, and something that they will be willing to listen to again.
What do I play? Well, I just bought my first bass guitar this week, but I have been playing drums since I was 12 - professionally from age 18-27, and piano/keyboard since before then. I taught myself a bit on the guitar (dumb instrument, hah). I have a little home studio that I can go from concept to CD with. I have a full album finished that I am putting the final touches on for the cover and linear notes. It's not great, but it's at least something. How about you, Sir?

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:54 pm

Hayling, from most of these tracks, I'm a little confused when you say you like the quieter stuff. Maybe you just turn your stereo down, or you aren't going for songs, but more mood. I don't think mood is musical, because you can attribute a song to a certain mood you are in when you first hear it, and it can change when you hear it in a different mood. The music is dependent on your mood, not you on it. There ARE exceptions to that rule, of course, as anyone who listens to Madonna's "Justify My Love" can't NOT think about something sexy when listening to it!

Auricle - Musique
Love opening African-style drumming - see that change at 26 seconds was not too long
Jazzy, augemented major chords are never my fave - I like the minor key stuff
Nice mix to form the body of the song, break at 1:50, there's your claps at 2:19
2:36 sounds cool, where will it take me? Umm, back to main body, nothing added new = disappointed
Those hits at 3:49 might be the best part of the track
Why not go back to the great drums at the start towards the end? Another laptop song made with a bunch of loops and minimal songwriting - not very influencing
5/10

Jody Watley - Saturday Night Experience (Ron Trent Remix)
Jazz piano, reverb, thump-thump-thump bass drum
Good production, nice use of strings, smooth obvious extended version of a song
I'm guessing if you like this artist, you will love this mix - but how about someone who's never heard of Jody Watley?
The key step up at 5:25 is nice - well-written - ah those claps in the background
Break at 6:19, no melody, riff or anything that stands out to be the "signature sound" for the song - the lines, "Saturday...... Experience..... Just Groovin'....." don't count
6/10

Dub Taylor - Pop Immediately
Interesting "squishy" sound, alternating bass, quick changes/layering - good start
That hi-hat sounds like someone clinking thin china plates together
Sampled trumpet works well, taking the ear away from the loop, managed well
Going back to the basics at 4:48 sounds very cool
Still, missing an ingredient to make it memorable - something else introduced as a signature sound didn't come. I got a copy of this one, though
7/10

Sasha - Deep Progress
I am starting to see the commonality of all the tracks you recommend
Always waiting for something to come and blow my mind, and nothing ever does
Halfway through the song, and it's the same instrumentation all the way through
Even the build finish at 3:43 doesn't reveal much of another facet to the track
The high saw mass realized after the break at 4:42 is when the track sounds it's best
But how long can you expect people to listen to the same loop with only subtle changes
Normal rideout, but I like Sasha and have some of his other stuff, so I give it a good number :)
6/10

Bassic - Regenerator
Oooo, love how this one starts - low bass, quick changes, alternating strings
Has a melody riff! Vocals, walking bass line, faroff violin wail
2:15 there's that "something different" - time goes quickly listening to this track
Well constructed, production is a little lacking, doesn't sound great, but who cares
Without listening to anything else before, just listen to 5:03 for a taste
Great ambient track, has almost all the elements of good electronica - copy me!
9/10

Sasha - Boileroom - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a_Qxd4ECTo
I couldn't find the mix you posted, but just the original mix
Backward-tape aciied, great production, 2:05 is a reward!
Very cool bass sounds, beat doesn't get boring
Listen to those bells at 5:05 - guy knows what he's doing
Even a rideout that you want to listen to all the way through
This is one that I might try to make a 3 minute mix of
8/10

Ad Finem - If You Fall (Chilled Mix)
I could only find the Gold Trix mix
Yawn... drum machine to start - Djs use these intros to match BPMs - I don't like them in standalone songs
I like that synth riff, where will it take me? Nice reward at 2:02
Some nice vocals, 3rd step down in key signature = always good
I think if there was a radio edit of this track, I would like that better
Nice plugs, lots of work gone into making this track
Just think that it's message has been extended unneccessarily
7/10

Mindflight - Release
Alternating bass drum! Layered hi-hats! Neat snare! Could come from the 90's!
So does "Deep house" mostly have that augemented/diminished key signature on a Rhodes piano sound? Personally, I don't like it - one example is enough in my library
"Silent tears...." when was crying ever about sound? Gimmicky
Cool sound introduced at 2:34 - it could make the track memorable enough if expanded
Well-made break at 5:24, why not make that go off into regions unknown? The listener would have the patience for it...
Overall, not terrible, and in many ways might've been way better than what was offered back then
6/10

Sound System - Trinity (10:00 version)
Why was this the worst song ever? Please elaborate
Ooo those vocals at 0:50 are not so good, I like the chorus though
(Trying 8:24 version)
Sound the same... okay, I see what you mean - might not be the worst of all time, but better than many people in their bedrooms could put out...

Ok Hayling you now have to do more analysis of my suggestions, but can't just give me a number - they have to be observations (and I'm only giving 4 so you don't spend all night listening to music you've never heard before - or do you want to?):

ARC - Octane
John (or Nigel) Stanford - Far Centaurus
Delerium - Consensual Worlds
Solar Fields - Bngl. w (3 minutes in, man!)

Postby Hayling » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:45 am

EurO, we'll I'm not a musician (+critic) to be writing your critique. lol

Only just sharing what I got. :P

Postby vodka » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:30 pm

EurO wrote:After 1 1/2 hours, here you are :)

Gerd - Still believe
Stomper bass drum, piano loop sounds cool - technooooooo!
1:47 drop leads to unexpected lack of elevation - fade-in strings ominous
"Do you still believe in our love?" add in that neat electro ride cymbal
Great electronic music songwriting - not as easy as you might think to do well
Can't be techno without those claps at 4:43, 6:05 songs cool value increases
For an example of this type of music, very high quality, a good candidate for me to remix!
8/10

You remix?

I'd like to hear

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:04 pm

Sure Vodka, send an mp3 to me at rinke1971@yahoo.com and I'll email you back my mix of it.
Hayling, you don't have to be a musician to say that you like this or don't like that - just like your observations of a movie, for instance. It's good practice!

Postby vodka » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:15 pm

and to comment on the critique you get for your reviews.

One passion of me is music. Music is something personal.
The reviews you make in this forum, you made time for that, you made the time to listen and to analyse them your way. My respect.
Anyone can comment on that. But not on the effort. You put some effort on it and let you 'heart' speak on what this music affects you. Its so easy for others to comment or even be negative on it without doing the same effort you did. Music is also personal. I always compare it to girls. One likes blondes, one likes brunettes. Only people without horseglasses will accept and comprehend this.

Euro, you have my thumbs up. And I don't say this easy, this I'm saying for the pathethic retards without life that comment without good arguments to make their lifes interesting.

Booyaka

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:02 am

Awesome Vodka! You are telling the truth when I am critiquing based on my own opinion. Not only is that the only thing I have, but I also though that is what you and Hayling were looking for. It is only my perspective, nothing more or less.
Speaking of that, I am still waiting for you to send me an .mp3 so I can do my job on it!

Postby Casey » Tue May 26, 2015 6:06 pm

I found this album the other day and I thought it was pretty good. Worth a listen if you are into these type of tunes. It's kind of industrial I guess. The Game @ 41:47 is kind of catchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLz5ARe3u1k

Scream Machine - We Are Revolution

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Thu May 28, 2015 1:42 am

Not a bad listen, Casey, and I liked your suggested track along with "Freaks". But doode, would you play this for your grandmother and imagine that she would either like it, or grow to like it? ;)
Plus, what is up with the whole antidisestablishmentarianism deal when we can't even understand what the singer is saying...
I would say this would be a VERY limited audience, and maybe not a top offering of this kind of music. But it's fine

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:05 pm

Edouard, I am working on "Nebula" and "Clap Clap" and will send you correspondence soon on them.

Postby vodka » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:12 pm

vodka wrote:and to comment on the critique you get for your reviews.

One passion of me is music. Music is something personal.
The reviews you make in this forum, you made time for that, you made the time to listen and to analyse them your way. My respect.
Anyone can comment on that. But not on the effort. You put some effort on it and let you 'heart' speak on what this music affects you. Its so easy for others to comment or even be negative on it without doing the same effort you did. Music is also personal. I always compare it to girls. One likes blondes, one likes brunettes. Only people without horseglasses will accept and comprehend this.

Euro, you have my thumbs up. And I don't say this easy, this I'm saying for the pathethic retards without life that comment without good arguments to make their lifes interesting.

Booyaka

damn I was enthousiastic writing this lol

https://soundcloud.com/user-924913029

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:49 pm

Hey Vodka! I liked "Superman" sounds, but I wanted it to 'open up' into something grand, exciting and mind-blowing, you know? Can you make a track that uses the intro-verse-seguay-verse-chorus-verse-bridge-verse-chorus-rideout format?

Postby Lazyeye » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:56 am

I'm confused by this book. I mean post. Who's doing the music Eur0? where can I hear it.

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:00 pm

Vodka has posted his stuff at a P2P sharing site. I had mine on Sounclick, MP3.com, and others that all changed formats, so they all went bye-bye and I don't care anymore, haha. But after seeing what Soundcloud can do, I might re-post my older stuff.

PreviousNext

Return to Music