Have you ever wanted to be the next Roger Ebert and critique movies? Not sure if you should get that HD-DVD or Blu-Ray version of your favorite movie? Well look no further as ECGN welcomes you to the movies! Please, no cell phones...

Re: 300

Postby Sabres » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:46 pm

I thought the huge rhino and elephant were a little wierd.

Postby Stl Lunatic » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:14 pm

The rhinos and the elephants were awkward, but still very cool. I thought they brought some extra action...you know change up the flow from just stabbing and hand to hand combat...If they were tieing in history I guess they just wanted to dramatize it...

Chacal; not that what you said or what I said is correct but that is what I have heard happened in real life. If you want to believe that something happened a certain way, thats your oppinion. I like it better to think there is heroism in the story...Its alot better than not being any...I certainly agree that hollywood dramatized and altered the story in some ways...

Postby Sabres » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:00 pm

I heard that if you cleanly cut off a human head with a quick slice, nice clean cut, blood would spray 30 feet in the air. Is this true?

:P

Postby King » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:05 pm

Sabres wrote:I heard that if you cleanly cut off a human head with a quick slice, nice clean cut, blood would spray 30 feet in the air. Is this true?

Go try it, i'll watch the news and let you know.

Postby Sabres » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:52 pm

King wrote:Go try it, i'll watch the news and let you know.

HA! Yeah, I'll get right on that...

C'mon, where's all the paramedics! LD!!!!

Postby Buliwyf » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:07 am

Sabres wrote:I heard that if you cleanly cut off a human head with a quick slice, nice clean cut, blood would spray 30 feet in the air. Is this true?

send that question to mythbusters ;)
XBOX 360 Gamertag

Postby Trash Can » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:15 pm

With all the hype about this movie, frankly I was a little disappointed. This movie looked like it was going to be great, but I thought the ending was weak.

Postby Cleatus703 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:56 pm

Chacal wrote:I think you're getting carried away by the Hollywood treatment given to the story. These were basically a bunch of primitive tribes fighting one another and trying to expand their territory, but since realism wouldn't get viewers in the theaters, some heroism has to be inserted, especially mixed with historically dubious concepts of freedom and democracy. The whole idea is precisely to give US viewers goose bumps.

Greece, and even Athens, was a tribal society based on slavery, only a handful of rich "citizens" had rights. Not your current concept of democracy.

Much as the Randall Wallace/Mel Gibson version of Braveheart was a much romanticized and fictionalized version of the actual events. Fer instance - the pivotal battle of Stirling Bridge, where the Scots won their first major engagement on the battlefield - it wasn't a faceoff of armies across an open field - the Scots ambushed the English as they tried to cross the bridge at Stirling two by two and whittled them down. Ironically, the English general could have crossed downstream at a ford and probably wiped out the Scottish army, but chose to cross at Stirling Bridge instead. Hollywood is not the source for the accurate retelling of virtually any story...particularly when it comes to history...

Postby Sabres » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:51 pm

Buliwyf wrote:send that question to mythbusters ;)

Wouldn't that be a little to rough on Buster?

Postby Lord ZOG » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:39 am

Molon labe!

When the Persians demanded the Spartans throw down their weapons, the Spartans replied "Molon labe!", which means "Come and take them!". Apparently, not only is this true but it's a phrase used by many military leaders since then.

Good stuff, although way over-dramatized by Hollywood. Still, it's pure genius on film. I saw it in an IMAX theater, but it was so crowded the only seats we got were in the 2nd row. Neck cramps anyone?

Wikipedia has some interesting information, although cloudy because of how long ago this occured.

Some estimates at the size of the Persian combined forces reached 2.6 million, and the Greek combines forces numbered nearer 5200.

Battle of Thermopylae
Lord ZOG

"Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit... and Jack just left town."

Postby Darknut » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:16 am

Stl Lunatic wrote:We can assume they ate a hefty breakfast...:P

I've heard others complain about the mountain people (Forgot their name) and all of the unrealistic beings. The 12 foot guy and the huge elephants...I thought it made the movie more interesting...I mean Hollywood had to step in and juice it up somewhere...lol

It is a movie based on a comic by Frank Miller that was based on a movie that was based on a book that was based on the actual event. This movie was not intended to be a documentary of the event.

Postby SavageParrot » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:18 pm

LoL just watched this film. Thought it was great.

Picking holes in it for accuracy though is kind of like criticising The Clash of the Titans, or Jason and the Argonauts. Even if they had made this film word for word based on an ancient greek account it would still be full of shit. Plus in addition to the already insanely over-exaggerated genre of classical war stories this is also working within the yet more exaggerated genre of comic book art.

Calling it inaccurate only makes the person picking holes look stupid as it never even comes close to pretending it's accurate.
TT clan forums

You knows I still wuvs ya rtcw:beer: ;)

Postby -HaVoC- » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:21 am

I just saw it and it seemed to be kinda the same noise level, high, and the same tempo throughout. I was really looking forward to it but after the initial draw into the style and story it got rather mono and boring. Sweet piece of history though.
-

"Now, if things look bad, and it looks like your not going to make it, then you've got to get mean, I mean plum mad dog mean, 'cause if you lose your head and give up then you neither live nor win, and that's just the way it is."

- The Outlaw Josey Wales -

put me on the team that Harry aint on....I sure miss shooting him and if im on the same team as HaVoC...OMFG we will stomp a mudhole in you and walk it dry.

- YaDad -

RTCW Admin

Postby CHICK » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:08 pm

I keep hearing people yammering about the historical truth,dynamic speeches, violent battle scenes. All I'm thinking is I'd like a great big hunk of abds fellas! Yummy Yummy Yummy abds! FLEXING HEAVING OILY ABDS!
This is a definately an - I'm gonna get lucky in the movie parking lot - kinda movie!
There's only one crime in nature which is stupidity, and the punishment is death.

Postby King » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:50 am

There was a great program about the '300' soldiers of Sparta and the battle of Thermopolae on the History Channel today. I have yet to see the movie (i want to, just no time) but i did catch this. If i come across it, i'll let you all know the title of the program if anyone is interested in it.

PreviousNext

Return to Movies