Blu-Ray or HD DVD?

Have you ever wanted to be the next Roger Ebert and critique movies? Not sure if you should get that HD-DVD or Blu-Ray version of your favorite movie? Well look no further as ECGN welcomes you to the movies! Please, no cell phones...

Re: Blu-Ray or HD DVD?

Postby King » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:26 am

I'm pretty sure they should play old dvds. I also have upconvert w/ my hdmi on a lcd. It does look awesome. Oh and parrot, old sporting events ond DVD is awesome. Just ask my World Series box set that gets played regularly. I gotta relive the glory for as long as possible.

Postby SavageParrot » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:47 am

LoL I find american sporting events dull enough the first time round thanks :D
TT clan forums

You knows I still wuvs ya rtcw:beer: ;)

Postby Tommy Boy » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:23 pm

SavageParrot wrote:LoL I find american sporting events dull enough the first time round thanks :D

You need to watch the NHL then Parrot!! The NHL in HD is incredible....

Postby King » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:50 pm

SavageParrot wrote:LoL I find american sporting events dull enough the first time round thanks :D

Kind of like watching your football?;)

Postby SavageParrot » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:12 pm

Nah I don't like our football either. Too many overpaid drama queens. I'm a rugby follower.
TT clan forums

Postby Sabres » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:23 pm

Tommy Boy wrote:You need to watch the NHL then Parrot!! The NHL in HD is incredible....

Agreed. Once you watch the NHL in HD, it is extremely hard to go back. You get back to regular tv and your just like ughhhh wtf...

Postby SavageParrot » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:22 am

LoL that's only because watching NHL in HD is the only way you can see the puck :P
TT clan forums

Postby cavalierlwt » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:10 am

If you like Rugby then you could easily grow to like American Football. They are alike, big dudes smashing each other around.
Failing to plead
with a throat full of dust
Life falls asleep
in a fetal position.

Postby SavageParrot » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:49 am

American Footbal just has no flow to it. It's all stop, stop, start, stop, start ad-break, time out and stop again. I just don't think any game even gets close to rugby for a matching of fast flowing action and simultaneos bone crunching violence :)

If it's any compensation I'd probably rather watch American football that european football even though the american versions name is a misnomer as the ball is in the hands.

Soccer players are such women compared to both sports...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxY7AsgOxBY
TT clan forums

Postby King » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:00 pm

I give props to rugby players... no pads and all contact is the shit. But i've never seen any hits like a wide receiver will take going over the middle. Any linebacker would love to kill the guy once he touches the ball and then force the fumble.

that being said, the world's best athletes--- HOCKEY PLAYERS, whether its on regular tv, HD or in person, those guys have a multitude of skill, and they apply it every shift... don't believe me? lace up some skates and go sit in front of the net, try and deflect a slapshot from the point thats traveling about 90mph. If you aren't scared shitless of taking the puck to the face then you've won only a small portion of the battle.

getting back on subject though, it seems like there is a lot more available on Blu-Ray than on HD-DVD. we'll see though.

Postby SavageParrot » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:17 pm

Yeah I'll give them that the skill is impressive. My only problem with ice hockey is that the pitch is not long enough to really show off their skill and the goal is too small making for a lot of dull patches where not a lot happens. Other than that yeah it's good to watch. Although I heard they banned the fighting, is that true?
TT clan forums

Postby cavalierlwt » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:13 pm

King wrote:

getting back on subject though, it seems like there is a lot more available on Blu-Ray than on HD-DVD. we'll see though.

There was a massive surge of Blu-Ray discs in the last 30 days. I still don't see them pulling it off without an even more massive drop in price on the players. $999 is waaay too much. Watch for the two magic price points: $299 and $199
Failing to plead
Life falls asleep
in a fetal position.

Postby King » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:14 pm

No its not banned. its just frowned upon now more than it was a few years ago. But there is talk, a lot of talk on sports radio about the growing need for enforcers again. most of the recent brawling was from big hits, either legal or illegal hits on players.

Postby cavalierlwt » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:19 am

I may have to reverse my opinion: Blu-Ray now has a player that runs around $478. Still not as cheap as HD-DVD, but in the neighborhood. If they continue with last month's push on releasing new titles and make another push at getting a player closer to the magical $299 mark, maybe Blu-Ray will win.
Failing to plead
Life falls asleep
in a fetal position.

Previous

Return to Movies