Ken Burns 'The War'

Have you ever wanted to be the next Roger Ebert and critique movies? Not sure if you should get that HD-DVD or Blu-Ray version of your favorite movie? Well look no further as ECGN welcomes you to the movies! Please, no cell phones...

Ken Burns 'The War'

Postby cavalierlwt » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:44 pm

http://www.pbs.org/thewar/

I know most people avoid PBS like the plague, but when this airs, I *highly* recommend you make an exception. If it's one tenth as good as his Civil War series, then it's not to be missed. It's not action oriented, but Burns is usually pretty good at getting to the underlying causes and effects of an event, and he really excels at showing you the human toll through personal photos and letters home.
BTW, check out the '1000 yard stare' of the poor GI on PBS's webpage for 'The War'. Amazing pic.
Failing to plead
with a throat full of dust
Life falls asleep
in a fetal position.

Re: Ken Burns 'The War'

Postby jenky33 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:57 pm

looks amazing indeed. this will be one that i shall not miss.
Wash [as Stegosaurus]: Yes. Yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it… "This Land."
Wash [as Allosaurus]: I think we should call it "your grave"!
Wash [as Stegosaurus]: Ahh! Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Wash [as Allosaurus]: Har har har! Mine is an evil laugh! Now die!
[The Allosaurus attacks the Stegosaurus.]
Wash [as Stegosaurus]: Ohhh, no, God! Oh, dear God in heaven!

Postby King » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:12 am

cavalierlwt wrote:http://www.pbs.org/thewar/

I know most people avoid PBS like the plague, but when this airs, I *highly* recommend you make an exception. If it's one tenth as good as his Civil War series, then it's not to be missed. It's not action oriented, but Burns is usually pretty good at getting to the underlying causes and effects of an event, and he really excels at showing you the human toll through personal photos and letters home.
BTW, check out the '1000 yard stare' of the poor GI on PBS's webpage for 'The War'. Amazing pic.

This kind of series should have been made a long time ago, a lot of members of the greatest generation who accomplished extraordinary things during the war have now passed.

But the Latin-American community doesn't want me to watch it! And it makes no reference to the Inuit-Alaskans that fought.:roll:

If you're down for reading, check out Citizen Soldier by Ambrose, a really good and easy read.

Postby -HaVoC- » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:00 pm

This looks really good thanks for the heads up.
-

"Now, if things look bad, and it looks like your not going to make it, then you've got to get mean, I mean plum mad dog mean, 'cause if you lose your head and give up then you neither live nor win, and that's just the way it is."

- The Outlaw Josey Wales -

put me on the team that Harry aint on....I sure miss shooting him and if im on the same team as HaVoC...OMFG we will stomp a mudhole in you and walk it dry.

- YaDad -

Return to Movies