Is the Mac Really Safer Then a PC

Have you ever wanted to be the next Roger Ebert and critique movies? Not sure if you should get that HD-DVD or Blu-Ray version of your favorite movie? Well look no further as ECGN welcomes you to the movies! Please, no cell phones...
NerrdyGirlyx

Is the Mac Really Safer Then a PC

Postby NerrdyGirlyx » Thu May 17, 2007 6:21 pm

Everyone claims the mac is safer but realisticly isn't it less safe because most people on a mac are not as cautious as pc users. Pc users are running software firewalls to see what connections are coming in and out sandboxing type software and other security type programs. If someone personally knows you are on a mac seems they could target you better since they know you proably won't be looking for anything out of the ordinary. What do you guys think

Re: Is the Mac Really Safer Then a PC

Postby SavageParrot » Thu May 17, 2007 6:54 pm

I had a mac for for 5 years and never got a virus. Presumably there's spyware and stuff that targets macs but the really bad ass viruses all seem to be pc centred.

My guess is hackers see hacking macs as kind of like winning at the special olympics...
TT clan forums

You knows I still wuvs ya rtcw:beer: ;)

Postby Lord ZOG » Thu May 17, 2007 7:31 pm

I believe users on OS X (even so-called "Administrators") don't have full access to the core system of the OS. A lot of super-geek, chest-pounding, look-at-me,-I'm-better-than-you Nerds lambaste OS X for exactly that.

Those guys are the same jerk-offs who boast that they use Windows 2003 Server for their everyday workstations because they're so much more "l33t" than us regular folk.

More kids are buying Macs lately, and I believe with that younger, more brain-dead market-share growing daily the cyber-scumbags will re-tool their Spyware to assault OS X sooner than we all think.

But for now, Mac's are safer than Windows-based PCs. Have fun while it lasts, and just keep a level head. As long as you don't download crap like it's going out of style, and are careful what sites you visit you should be fine.
Lord ZOG

"Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit... and Jack just left town."

Postby Chacal » Thu May 17, 2007 11:30 pm

Forget it. It's a bot. There was a link in the message.
Chacal

[SIZE="1"][color="LightBlue"]Reporter: "Mr Gandhi, what do you think of western civilization?"
Gandhi: "I think it would be a great idea."[/color][/SIZE]

Postby =TAO=Stiiv » Fri May 18, 2007 12:18 am

Frankly, not enough "targets" run the Mac OS for these ninnies to waste time writing malware for it. Also keep in mind that Apple writes their OS for machines only they build, with components from <100 companies, total. Compare that to trying to write the next Windows, which has to run on millions of machines built by hundreds of companies using parts from thousands of different vendors...when's the last time anyone had a choice of processor when buying a Mac? Before, it was ONLY the PowerPC chip....now it's only Intel. Security, reliability, pretty desktops etc. are much easier when the code you're writing only has to run on machines made by YOUR company.
=TAO=Stiiv
www.stiiv.com

Postby Darknut » Fri May 18, 2007 3:37 am

=TAO=Stiiv wrote:Frankly, not enough "targets" run the Mac OS for these ninnies to waste time writing malware for it. Also keep in mind that Apple writes their OS for machines only they build, with components from <100 companies, total. Compare that to trying to write the next Windows, which has to run on millions of machines built by hundreds of companies using parts from thousands of different vendors...when's the last time anyone had a choice of processor when buying a Mac? Before, it was ONLY the PowerPC chip....now it's only Intel. Security, reliability, pretty desktops etc. are much easier when the code you're writing only has to run on machines made by YOUR company.

The sad part of that all is, while the Mac is written for specific hardware, it still crashes and not that much less than Windows 2000+.

Postby SavageParrot » Fri May 18, 2007 6:02 am

Darknut wrote:The sad part of that all is, while the Mac is written for specific hardware, it still crashes and not that much less than Windows 2000+.

LoL well the crashes are software realted rather than hardware I'd guess. All the hardware thing means is that the macs last longer. I dropped my dads g5 powerbook down the stairs (please don't tell him) and there's not a scratch on it; the top of my brothers Dell fell off just from the oh so unpredictable strain of being opened and closed a few times a day...that's the difference.

A lot is made of how expensive macs are but imo it's worth it. My old indigo imac still runs without complaint even though it only gets turned on like 1 time a month now and is 6/7 years old. To date on this pc I have had to replace the dvd-r/cd-r drive, the monitor and have gone through 2 keyboards. With the exception of the mouse my imac is still intact, including the original keyboard. Why mac's stick with one button mice anyway when 2 button mice work fine on macs is beyond me. If you have a mac buy a 2 button mouse. It's work fine and be much less annoying :)

Chacal wrote:Forget it. It's a bot. There was a link in the message.

LoL I figured from the name but I just wanted to spam anyway :)
TT clan forums

Postby Darknut » Fri May 18, 2007 4:42 pm

My old 486SX/25 still runs. I gave it to somebody about four years ago and it still runs. While Mac may have better quality control on their hardware I haven't really found it superior.

Postby SavageParrot » Fri May 18, 2007 5:27 pm

Their customer service is generally better as well. Mostly because you phone the same people for software and hardware problems and they are equipped to deal with both. But you right I don't think it's better as doing the job I just think it can generally do the job for longer.

If I wasn't a gamer I'd buy a mac. They are just simpler IMO.

BBC basics pwn!
TT clan forums

Postby Darknut » Fri May 18, 2007 6:48 pm

I'd give OS X more thought if it could run on the computer I've already built. I think Apple could really benefit if they undercut Microsoft on the OS price and made it available on all platforms.

Postby =TAO=Stiiv » Fri May 18, 2007 8:38 pm

I think Apple could really benefit if they undercut Microsoft on the OS price and made it available on all platforms.

You're so right. I wonder what the Antichrist, uh, I mean Steve Jobs, is waiting for?
:D
=TAO=Stiiv
www.stiiv.com

Postby Lord ZOG » Fri May 18, 2007 8:50 pm

Darknut wrote:I'd give OS X more thought if it could run on the computer I've already built. I think Apple could really benefit if they undercut Microsoft on the OS price and made it available on all platforms.

Right now, only the Mac can run all major OSes;

Windows, OS X and Linux.

I often wondered why Apple even allowed Windows to run on their machines? Who does this benefit more? Them, or Microsoft? You still have to buy Windows for it to run...and Apple benefits zilch from that.
Lord ZOG

"Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit... and Jack just left town."

Postby cavalierlwt » Fri May 18, 2007 9:01 pm

I was at Compusa the other day, fooling around with one of those Apple quad core xeons with that huge ass monitor.......droool. Expensive, but I couldn't get it out my head for the rest of the day.
Failing to plead
with a throat full of dust
Life falls asleep
in a fetal position.

Postby Darknut » Fri May 18, 2007 10:37 pm

Lord ZOG wrote:Right now, only the Mac can run all major OSes;

Windows, OS X and Linux.

I often wondered why Apple even allowed Windows to run on their machines? Who does this benefit more? Them, or Microsoft? You still have to buy Windows for it to run...and Apple benefits zilch from that.

Apple benefits actually. It's another selling point for Apple and considering that Mac can only run on Apple's hardware you have to have first purchased Mac. So in no way would it serve to hinder their sales. The people who were held back from buying a Mac due to something not being available for Mac OS now can dual boot and buy a Mac.

However, in my case I see no reason to go over to Mac simply because I can make Windows or Linux do everything it does without having to buy new hardware. Mac is somewhat easier than Windows but that makes no difference to me; I'm a nerd afterall.

Postby King » Sat May 19, 2007 3:56 pm

I like the fact that one of these bots spawned a decent thread. Its done a lot more than some of the other people around here....
"Whats the Situation?" "Two blokes and a fuckload of cutlery!"

Be my Cronie! http://www.centsports.com/?opcode=61909

Next

Return to Movies