Restore Windows XP by using the XP installation CD

Have you ever wanted to be the next Roger Ebert and critique movies? Not sure if you should get that HD-DVD or Blu-Ray version of your favorite movie? Well look no further as ECGN welcomes you to the movies! Please, no cell phones...
admin_papa

Restore Windows XP by using the XP installation CD

Postby admin_papa » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:59 am

Good Day

Just wanted to share my new experience.

If your system fails to run due to an error related to lost HAL.DLL, invalid Boot.ini or any other important system boot files you can fix this by using the XP installation CD. Just boot from your XP Setup CD and enter the Recovery Console. Then run "attrib -H -R -S" on the C:\Boot.ini file and remove it. Launch "Bootcfg /Rebuild" and then Fixboot

Cheers,
Carl

Re: Restore Windows XP by using the XP installation CD

Postby Lord ZOG » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:32 pm

Well, it really depends on the nature of your failure. The Windows XP CD is a valuable tool in not only rescuing a seemingly toasted OS install, but it's a very useful troubleshooting tool, too.

For this reason alone I recommend full Windows XP CDs as opposed to those frikin USELESS "System Restore" CDs that come with so many brand name PCs now-a-days. Dell still gives you a full blown XP\Vista CD with your purchase (they must pay ridiculous licensing fees for Microsoft to allow this) but for that reason alone I recommend Dells above all other brands to my clients.

I'll often installl the Recovery Console as a boot option on my client PCs (X:\I386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons fro the Run command with the CD in the drive) so that if my clients lose their CD I can still run a simple CHKDSK without having to use\bring my own CD).

Too many people just reformat and reinstall when they run into problems with their Windows installation (and many so-called "professionals", too.....*cough* Geek Squad *cough*).
Lord ZOG

"Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit... and Jack just left town."

Postby Lord ZOG » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:25 am

Did I just answer a frigin bot??

Oh, the humanity!
Lord ZOG

"Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit... and Jack just left town."

Postby BladeRunner » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:04 pm

Lord ZOG wrote:Did I just answer a frigin bot??

Oh, the humanity!

I'm not sure (Chacal may know) but it sure looks like it.
I didn't delete his/its post because I didn't see any spam links in it.
:beer:
"Aim small, miss small" The Patriot
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast" Bob Lee Swagger
"There is but one path, we kill them all" Spartacus:Blood and Sand

Postby Chacal » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:41 am

Oh yeah it is. It's just posting to see if it can.

And it's quietly laughing at Lord Zog.
Chacal

[SIZE="1"][color="LightBlue"]Reporter: "Mr Gandhi, what do you think of western civilization?"
Gandhi: "I think it would be a great idea."[/color][/SIZE]

Postby Lord ZOG » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:09 pm

Chacal wrote:Oh yeah it is. It's just posting to see if it can.

And it's quietly laughing at Lord Zog.

But I had a VALID POINT!!!:freak:

Damn, why can't the smart people like me??? :no:
Lord ZOG

Return to Movies