District 9

Have you ever wanted to be the next Roger Ebert and critique movies? Not sure if you should get that HD-DVD or Blu-Ray version of your favorite movie? Well look no further as ECGN welcomes you to the movies! Please, no cell phones...
RTCW Admin

District 9

Postby Macabre » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:39 am

First off I see not many posts come through here. With good intentions I hope to start and post more movies. I don't get to the theatre often but I have probably a couple hundred movies at the house and every channel direct tv offers. Some may be old and some new but I'll post as I watch flix, regardless of age so if your a movie buff like me let me know what you think as I'm curious to your tastes. Now...on with the show.

I seen district 9 in the theatre the other day. My buddy was taking his nephew and I thought I would tag along. I had no idea what the movie was about other than it had aliens in it. I was pleasantly surprised as it was not bad and managed to hold my attention. Nothing over the top fantastic but better than your average flick. From first time director Neill Blomkamp and produced by Peter Jackson. On a 5 star scale I would have to say I give it maybe 3.75 Maybe not a must see at theatres but I would recommend renting it if you have a nice set up at home.

On a side note I seen the preview to Legion which I seen the trailer was posted in the Smoking Room. Looks interesting but of course the verdict is still out.

Also I seen the preview for Shutter Island, a new flick from Scorsese, starring Dicaprio. Looks like an interesting thriller. Coming from those two it will probably be a good one. I believe it's due out in October. I will be waiting.

Re: District 9

Postby jim.morrison » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:15 pm

First off sorry but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD IT'S SAW. Secondly I'm not big into sci-fi movies is it spacey or what I haven't even seen* the trailer for it.

I would also tell you not to bother w/ the movie Knowing. Are you/should we just start new threads for different movies?

RTCW Admin

Postby Macabre » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:46 pm

It all takes place on earth. A spaceship breaks down and comes to rest over johannesburg, eventually they put the aliens in a concentration camp. About a million of them and the story progresses from there.

I say post any movie. I watch so many I figure I would just post stuff as I watch them, new and old, just to see what your all's take on them are or maybe you all can turn me on to something I have not seen. I just like movies so let em rip :)

Sorry for the seen/saw. While growing up I would start to tell my father a story and would say "you should have saw...". He would always stop me and say "should have seen". Subconsciously I believe I have erased the word saw from my mind all together. But thnx for picking up where my old man left off. :)

RTCW Admin

Postby Macabre » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:38 am

Someone at work said knowing was pretty good. I never listen to the people at work :flame:

Postby Chacal » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:37 pm

It is quite good. A little strange because at first it is obviously more about apartheid and racism than about aliens, and then the pace and focus shift towards action scenes and combat. The main story line, however, is the evolution of the main character throughout the movie.

The writer and director first made a short film, which made District 9 possible.
See it here:
http://geektyrant.com/2009/08/short-film-that-inspired-district-9/
Chacal

[SIZE="1"][color="LightBlue"]Reporter: "Mr Gandhi, what do you think of western civilization?"
Gandhi: "I think it would be a great idea."[/color][/SIZE]

RTCW Admin

Postby Macabre » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:43 pm

Nice post Chacal. Not thinking I'm giving anything away here or a "spoiler alert", but they left room for a second movie. The possibilities running thru my mind on this could be good, let's hope they bring the goods if and when they make the 2nd one.

Hey Chacal, I see your in Canada. I live in West Virginia and am curious about something maybe you can answer. Me and all my friends love the show Trailer Park Boys. Is it as big a deal in Canada as It is to me and my friends down here?

RTCW Admin

Postby Macabre » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:43 am

Just something I found interesting. I never pay attention to these parts of movies. I dont look into them that much as to shed a negative light on someone.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090919/ap_on_en_mo/af_nigeria_district9

Postby Chacal » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:10 pm

Macabre wrote:
Hey Chacal, I see your in Canada. I live in West Virginia and am curious about something maybe you can answer. Me and all my friends love the show Trailer Park Boys. Is it as big a deal in Canada as It is to me and my friends down here?

Sorry I just saw this. I have never heard of this show.
It may be popular in English-speaking Canada, but not here in Quebec.

Anyway, since I started playing BF1942 in november 2002 I never turned my TV on again.
Chacal

[SIZE="1"][color="LightBlue"]Reporter: "Mr Gandhi, what do you think of western civilization?"
Gandhi: "I think it would be a great idea."[/color][/SIZE]

Return to Movies