If you need a QIII engine fix

Off topic, but don't go too far overboard - after all, we are watching...heh.
RTCW Admin

If you need a QIII engine fix

Postby EurO » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:37 am

Hey guys,
Despite Jesus' great try at introducing something creative to keep people playing RTCW, I have found a free, standalone, online multiplayer first person shooter that everyone who has ever played Wolf should have available when they need a fraggin' fix.

http://www.urbanterror.info/downloads/

The game is quite old, coming out not long after RTCW. It is based on the Quake III engine, which means that Wolf players could adapt quickly. It is not objective-based, which makes it an instant 'second-place' to RTCW. It is mostly capture-the-flag or team deathmatch, and bomb diffuse modes.
There is a new version/release that came out a couple of months ago that I think really improves the game.
But... the game is dang fun. I love the sounds of guys dying and the download rate for custom maps is superfast (what I said killed RTCW all along). You can find a populated server at any time of the day or night (no longer with Wolf). The CTF mode is the most fun, and I play on the "Fallen Angels" server, since it seems to be comparable for ping with ECG for me.
Everyone is essentially a 'medic', where you HAVE to stop yourself from bleeding when you get shot, and you can heal comrades who are hurt up to a certain point. Default for 'heal' key is Q
Bind Q to your Mouse 2 button, basically, hahah

Like Counterstrike, you pick a certain type of gun and equipment, that, in the end don't make much difference, since you die and respawn so quickly most times.
I play with a lot of old-school Wolfers like Doll, Angelhair, and prey.

Again, Urban Terror will never be Wolf, but it's a fun way to spend the time that you would've been spending years ago playing Wolf - only now the servers are all empty... :(

Come join me when everyone on ECG has gone to sleep or do other things!

http://www.urbanterror.info/downloads/

Re: If you need a QIII engine fix

Postby murkey » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:25 pm

what server do you play?

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:31 am

Sorry, I should've posted that I play the Fallen Angel's server a lot. It's in all green text on the ingame browser, and I get a 53 ping there.
The browser is the same as RTCW's, where you refresh and create favorites, sorting by ping and population, etc.

Postby murkey » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:54 am

np, thats where i played seems to be the most popular server on there usually 20+ people on, it felt like crossbreed of quake and cs(weapon menu) and rtcw or something. sweet game though i'll play once in a while.

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:57 pm

Ya, they mix up the maps quite often, and I haven't seem to have gotten sick of the intense CTF games that can be had. That, plus the sounds of the game (listen to the new Colt 1911 introduced for 4.2) are really a draw for me. The AK-47 sounds so real. I just pick the gun that "feels" right and stick with it the whole time. It's the one with the "shiny bullets" ;)

Postby Destructor » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:41 pm

You said something in game about it the other night, so I actually checked it out. You'll see me there, especially while I'm banned from ECGN (started a thread in the appropriate sub-forum, not sure what I did).
Would you happen to know of anywhere that has a decent tips on messing with the config? I mainly want to hide my gun and get a higher FoV.

RTCW Admin

Postby B » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:46 pm

Destructor wrote:You said something in game about it the other night, so I actually checked it out. You'll see me there, especially while I'm banned from ECGN (started a thread in the appropriate sub-forum, not sure what I did).
Would you happen to know of anywhere that has a decent tips on messing with the config? I mainly want to hide my gun and get a higher FoV.
Who banned you? You're not on the ban list.

RTCW Admin

Postby likethat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:34 am

Scott does Corby still play on that server?

Postby pinkname » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:36 pm

Re :)

I had some time, tried this ut thingie :) Well, to me it was much like old counterstrike. I missed very much the supporting casts, lts, meds whatever. Movements are much slower than q3 or rtcw.

In general the whole stuff is good but not even close to rtcw. Imo. :/

J.

Postby W0lfy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:52 pm

pinkname wrote:Re :)

I had some time, tried this ut thingie :) Well, to me it was much like old counterstrike. I missed very much the supporting casts, lts, meds whatever. Movements are much slower than q3 or rtcw.

In general the whole stuff is good but not even close to rtcw. Imo. :/

J.

You can actually move faster than Rtcw. The movement just takes a while to learn and is more complicated than Rtcw. Look at jump videos on Youtube

Postby pinkname » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:04 pm

W0lfy wrote:
You can actually move faster than Rtcw. The movement just takes a while to learn and is more complicated than Rtcw. Look at jump videos on Youtube

Ahh yea, I just played some shoot-them-up, did no background investigations, didn't even make a cfg :)

J.

BUT: I did read the EULA (for the other topic).

RTCW Admin

Postby EurO » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:04 pm

Yep J, when you learn to jump and slide, you can literally fly. Plus, you can climb walls and do some parkour-type leaps that give you a great advantage. Also, everyone is a "medic" where you use the Q key (or bind it to whatever you want) and you can heal teammates to a certain level. You also have to heal yourself after a firefight. I totally agree that it is NOT Wolf, but then no game will be :(
I was just tired of being camped, stacked against, and one-mapped so I needed another alternative to waste some time! Plus, guys are a little more respectful on UrT, I've found, because the unlag ability of the game means that most players aren't in North America and hence aren't egoists jerks, generally. Also, the quick download rates mean that everyone gets maps in less than a minute.
Tom, I saw Corby about 2 months ago on 4.1, but I haven't seen him since everyone's gone 4.2. He was REALLY good in Urban Terror. Went by the name of "Deer" or something like that.
Destruktor, you can manipulate your cfg exactly like you do RTCW - changing FOV and turning off draw gun. The game has built-in hitsounds, and also has "funstuff" where you can have different hats/helmets and even capes :)
One of the best, and different things about Wolf, was that you could "live to fight another day". Most games these days are one-shot kills, but only the SR8 rifle in UrT has that ability. I like that I can get 3-5 kills per life pretty consistently :neo:

Return to The Smokin' Room