MMmmgood, Please Advise........Overclocking

Off topic, but don't go too far overboard - after all, we are watching...heh.
(>Tool<)

MMmmgood, Please Advise........Overclocking

Postby (>Tool<) » Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:14 pm

I'm just wondering if MMmmGood has any suggestions for a site I could do some homework on for overclocking. Not litterally homework but you get the point..... I just know I can overclock this GeForce 4 MX 420 and I want to learn how to do that safely and what the bounds are. Also that idiot on here with the MCSE certification,,, well we heard MMmmGoods oppinion of that, but I would like to know what MMmmGood has to say about A+ certification cause that's what I'm getting, that and Net+. Also do you have any certifications MMmmGood? Sorry if I ask to many questions but your a smart person so I'm actually interested in your thoughts:D Thanks MMmmGood and anyone else who responds for your time. Have fun..........

Edogg

Postby Edogg » Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:44 pm

well, im definitely not as well informed as mmmmgood, but the program that I used to overclock my video card is called power strip. I cant remember what web site i got it from, but im sure you can find it through a google search. There is a pay version, and there is a shareware version.
As far as the overclocking process goes, you need to try small increments in both the clock speed and memory speed. Test them out, and if you dont have any problems, try going a little bit higher. As soon as you see any signs of instability or graphic abnormalities, drop your speeds down like 10mhz.

(>Tool<)

Postby (>Tool<) » Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:50 pm

Thats what I figured but I'm waiting for more oppinions and also, what do I wanna do to cool that? maybe a drive bay fan????

Over-clocking

Postby Lord ZOG » Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:30 pm

I've never had any luck with over-clocking, although I'e done a lot of research into it.

Keeping things cool seems to be important. If you want a really trick system try water-cooling. Koolance sells this kick-ass liquid-cooled case that runs cool and quiet. The less fans you have, then less noise.

Also, make sure your components are top notch. Over-clocking them really stresses things, and you have cut-rate or cheap components, they will fail (or act flaky).

Good RAM is important...CAS2, brand name (Kingston, Corsair, Crucial).

Don't be too aggressive in your settings at first.

What are you working with now?
Lord ZOG

"Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit... and Jack just left town."

MMmmGood

Postby MMmmGood » Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:39 pm

Go to http://www.motherboards.org and look in the Overclockers Anonymous forums.

As far as graphics OCing goes, I just use the built in driver overclocking utility. I will raise it 10mhz at a time on core and memory, and run a 3Dmark2001 test a few times. I dont run the entire thing, just a few of em to make sure I dont see artifacts.

*Usually* you can get the memory a lot higher than you can get the core, but it depends on your cooling/brand of card.

I have a P4 2.4 ghz OCed to 2.81 ghz
I have a MSI Geforce4 ti 4200 OCed to 295/535 (ti 4600 is 300/650)

I also have my CPU watercooled and two intake fans and two exhaust fans with an aluminum case.

P.S.
Any MS cert is pretty much worthless.

Night Raven

Postby Night Raven » Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:23 pm

:cool:
Electronically speaking cooling may not be needed. I've just finished a small project with some peers that envolves a miniature server. We had a nice expensive custom propane cooling system, but it was never needed. But don't forget, too much may not be necisary, but too little can become expensive. Especially if you go through cards like toillet paper.

As for the software end end of things, I can't help you. I could build an nuclear reactor out of parts from a wrist watch, in the dark, using only my feet, but if you ask we what a .psp file is and I'm stumped.
Good luck tool.

PS, your new avatar is much better.

(>Tool<)

Postby (>Tool<) » Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:08 pm

lol, my new avatar is me, I just added some art to it. I'm gonna look at that OCing shit, I'm working with a 1ghz compaq 5000T, 512mb of kinston pc133 ram, and a geforce 4 mx 420. If only I had some damn money, right now all my time is devoted to getting a degree in network administration and that A+ and Net+ certification....

Night Raven

Postby Night Raven » Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:09 pm

:cool:

Wow, You're ugly! no wonder you're so bitter all the time. LOL j/k
good luck on the overclocking.

(>Tool<)

Postby (>Tool<) » Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:16 pm

O that's kewl raven, you couldent tell too much about the way I look from that pic anyways, but thanks for telling me I'm a sexy beast.......... now back to OCing lol. bye the way MMmmgood, what was your last 3dmark score, cause that link doesn't work when I go to it. Just to embarrass myself my 3dmark is 3000, and thats after mad work done to this thing. but I run wolf at over 100 fps when I'm inside, outside in heavy shit sometimes drop to about 20.

Compaq???

Postby Lord ZOG » Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:35 pm

Compaq??? Blech!!

Check this link out

Ugh, the absolute bottom of the PC barrel....ugly, slow and the world's most incompetant technical support.

You might have to overclock that pig to even get it running as fast as a REAL 1GHz CPU runs.

Good luck...:P
Lord ZOG

"Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit... and Jack just left town."

MMmmGood

Postby MMmmGood » Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:41 pm

You cant OC a Compaq, in fact you cant OC any retail computer. That means Dell, Gateway, HP, none of em will OC the CPU.

You can OC a graphics card though.

My last 3Dmark score was 12836

(>Tool<)

Postby (>Tool<) » Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:15 am

Thats awesome, before that the best score I saw was my friends 11200 or so. Compaq bleh huh Zog, tell that to my parents for bying it. It was a graduation gift last year when the best out was 1.2ghz so it rocked then. O and compaq is way better then E-Machines, Apple, and a few others. I never had problems with my compaq, if I got another it would be gateway though. Like I sayed in the benchmark reply I listed, you can talk Zog because you have money to put on a computer. in 2 years I'll have a nice MFing setup, top of the line everything and what-not, I gave you what I had to work with and you send me a link to some site filled with shit. You know every computer company has problems like that, just not some guy who wants to post a page about it.

BTW: This retail shit also means you built your own PC then huh? I couldn't do that cause of the gift thing, but I could order a P4 motherboard & chip & case, then use my ram right and then OC? I wont have money for a bit but I could do that in the next year or so. Thank you MMmmGood for you help anyways, I realize your time is valuable.

Mass market PCs

Postby Lord ZOG » Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:28 am

I'm not picking on you, or your choice in PCs, dude.

I, too, used to be lured into grabbing the "hottest" mass-market PC available. It was tempting to walk into a local store and see the latest, greatest whiz-bang CPU inside a fancy, sculptured case...and most mass-market PCs are decently priced, which made it all the more tempting.

But what I learned later is that most mass-market PC manufacturers aren't interested in your satisfaction. Their number one care in the world is making a buck, no matter how they can do it....and that often requires pumping out as many easy-to-build pieces of crap you can in a given month.

A common mass-market trick is throw the latest CPU into a box full of out-and-out junk. What-ever truck crashes out front is what will go into their machines, regardless of whether it's a cheap, un-reliable, no-name, Piece of Crap of the Month that they couldn't sell to anyone else anywhere.

Or, they use their own special brand of video card, sound-card, network card...all built conveniently (for the manufacturer, at least) onto their cheap, cookie-cutter motherboards. Compaq is notorious for trying to re-invent the weheel over and over and over and over...only to end up with something no-one even knows about months later. Eff Compaq! :P

If the components your CPU are coupled to are slow and unreliable, your fast expensive CPU is wasted. It's like buying a Ferrari with four compact-spares on each wheel. How fast do you think that would be?

I had two Packard Bell PCs before I woke up. Yeesh! It happens to us all.

You should try building your own PC. It's not as difficult as you might think, you learn a whole lot and you'll more than likely get a machine that will blow the doors off of any mass market PC, AND be upgradeable.

I'd go for a CPU that's not the latest and greatest(AMD is my favorite), then spend my money on a very fast video card, good RAM and a fast hard drive.

Off the original topic, I know...but this is all about exchanging ideas, isn't it?
Lord ZOG

(>Tool<)

Postby (>Tool<) » Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:40 am

Ok Zog, like I sayed, I didn't walk into the store, my parents did. I would have built my own. Also this was up from my old IBM ValuePoint 486 dx-2 with 8mb of ram, which I upgraded all the way to 24 mb with 8 mb sticks. So I wasn't about to complain. I changed the vid card to the best I can, and the ram will soon be 1 gig. and I'm not mad at you for exchanging ideas, I just thought that site was as much crap as it clames others are. You aren't supposed to like my comp, and why do you think I asked for help to OC it, I know its not fast. I changed the vid card, sound card, my eithernet runs fine.

Edogg

Postby Edogg » Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:32 am

ok tool learn from me, do not try to overclock crazy if you do not have the proper cooling. Ive spent the whole day tweaking and overclocking everything, and now im going back to stock on everything. My computer kept rebooting or shutting down(had a automatic shutdown feature in bios when temp reaches 60 celsius:rotflmao: ). I did manage to overclock the crap out of my video card and have it be stable, but my system ran too hot because of it(thus the automatic shutting down). Maybe once I gather up the balls to try again, i'll do it with the case open.

anyways here was my best run that resulted from today's experiences:
http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=5257334
I almost got 12k damn it.:rotflmao:

I guess my point of this post is to tell you dont do anything until you have proper cooling and you have done a lot of reading up on oc'ing. Its not as easy as it sounds.

Next

Return to The Smokin' Room