Weird Internet problem

Off topic, but don't go too far overboard - after all, we are watching...heh.
Mighty Mazz

Weird Internet problem

Postby Mighty Mazz » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:49 pm

For some reason as of a few weeks ago I can't seem to access secure webpages. (ex When I try to checkout somewhere, when I try to edit my hompage, when I go to get a quote from Geico.) I just put 2 and 2 together and realised there all secure pages but I cant seem to fix it. I get the "This page cannot be displayed" page every time I try one of these pages.

Only thing I've added recently to my comp that might even remotely affect this is adaware but I dont think so, could it be some type of conflict between spybot and adaware?:confused:

Any and all help is much appreciated, I need to buy something online, NEED to!

Win 2k
Internet Explorer
Linksys Router

Postby Colonel Ingus » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:14 pm

Not sure how helpful it is but I use both Spybot and Adaware and I have no problems whatsoever.

Good luck.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ... Benjamin Franklin

Postby Buliwyf » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:20 pm

I use both with no problems either... not sure man.
XBOX 360 Gamertag

Rocky Dennis

Postby Rocky Dennis » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:31 pm

any thing look strange in the security section of internet options?

Postby shockwave203 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:38 pm

I had the same problem. I couldn't figure out why, so I stopped using Explorer and started using Mozilla.

Hope someone knows of a cause, I'd like to get explorer back :)

Agent-Commando

Postby Agent-Commando » Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:09 pm

Hey that's weird, my friend's comp is doing the same. She can't access her university homework pages cause they're secure as well. This happened after I ran Ad-Aware on her comp as well, except, I have it on mine too and I have no problems accessing Ad-Aware... random systems maybe?? :wall:

Postby FarginMofo » Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:16 pm

Check all of settings under internet options. Try setting them to default. Are you running a software firewall?
"Well, we're not just gonna let you walk out of here."
"Who's we sucka!?"
"Smith and Wesson and me."

Postby FarginMofo » Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:24 pm

Also, what version of IE do you have?
"Well, we're not just gonna let you walk out of here."
"Who's we sucka!?"
"Smith and Wesson and me."

Mighty Mazz

Postby Mighty Mazz » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:29 pm

Heh thanks guys but I still can't get it to work I've tried remaking the connection setting defaults and everything but it doesnt seem to do anything. I'm gonna consult a profesional in these matters and hope he can fix it.

I think I'll try removing adaware tho first, got rid of spybot already so no problems there.

Just kinda weird how it happened all of a sudden. :freak:

Dont know what version of IE I have , the one that came with Win 2000 I beleive.:help:

Postby Ryan » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:48 pm

Make sure to check security settings in Internet Explorer

senwolf31

Postby senwolf31 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:35 pm

Also make sure you did the new patch to IE

Bullhead

Postby Bullhead » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:13 pm

At worst, I know winxp allows you to "uninstall" IE, and then you can reinstall it...I think 2000 has this, but I haven't played with that in awhile....Maybe adaware killed something that was messing with sec. setting, so now they're fubar'd? Maybe some reg key?

Fat Bastard

Postby Fat Bastard » Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:44 pm

X not sure what os your running but if your blocking cookies, you wont be able to access any secure sites because they use cookies, also. If your running xp you can add the websites url,

Tools ->>> Internet Options ->>>>Privacy tab ->>> at the bottom is an edit button, hit it and add the url. close out IE and then reopen it so it takes effect. After that should work if you haven't change your security settings like ryan posted already. Might have to add acouple verison of the url for it to work. i.e.

http://www.ecgnetwork.com
http://forums.powervs.com

Postby RCglider » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:28 pm

Originally posted by shockwave203
I had the same problem. I couldn't figure out why, so I stopped using Explorer and started using Mozilla.

Hope someone knows of a cause, I'd like to get explorer back :)

http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/20040202_windows.asp

That's one reason I won't use Exploder.

Mighty Mazz

Postby Mighty Mazz » Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:59 pm

OK OK I beleive I've fixed it! :D

Turns out I was using an older version of IE, 5.something to be exact. So after installing latest version and being all happy it still doesn't work.:( Then I am told to download this service pack for IE by my dad which by the way took over 2 hours to install :eek: :mad: and was only like 500kb. I am now able to access secure sites. HOWEVER... In my Internet Options I am still missing the security tab :confused: which others have, so still a little weird but at least it works for now..

For anyone else having problems with this check under 'Help' then 'About Internet Explorer' This will give you your version number and more importantly your Cipher Strength. BEFORE my Cipher strength was 56-bit now its 128-bit thats what you want. Then download necessary service packs at microsoft.com.

Thanks to everyone for helping me narrow down this problem and more thanks goes to my dad who can fix anything you name it automobiles, computers, factory machines, electrical stuff, plumbiing .. etc seriously he's the handiest man on earth.

He even figured out how to fix my XBOX Live connection while waiting on install, something to do with MTU s dont even ask. :roll:

Next

Return to The Smokin' Room