Michael Moore's Sicko

Have you ever wanted to be the next Roger Ebert and critique movies? Not sure if you should get that HD-DVD or Blu-Ray version of your favorite movie? Well look no further as ECGN welcomes you to the movies! Please, no cell phones...

Michael Moore's Sicko

Postby cavalierlwt » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:04 pm

Good movie, highly recommend. It does contain some bullshit stunts, and some aspects of other countries healthcare systems are put in a too-perfect light, but it's dead on with our healthcare system.

The surprise for me was that it wasn't so much about uninsured people, the movie was primarily about people who have insurance, and the way the insurance companies move heaven and earth to avoid paying the medical bills when the time comes--to the point where they deny people life saving surgery and instead let them die.

Don't be put off by the the politics, view it with an open mind, even if you don't agree with all aspects, I think most would find it worth viewing. It's not confrontational, and consists mostly of industry insiders dishing the dirt.
Failing to plead
with a throat full of dust
Life falls asleep
in a fetal position.

Re: Michael Moore's Sicko

Postby SavageParrot » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:49 pm

I'm looking forward to it. It's always fun to play devials advocate to his films and think of the counter arguments. If it's like his other stuff he'll have some decent points but he'll run too far with them.

That's purely from an argument structure standpoint as well, politically I could care less. I never put much credence on party politics anyway. If what they say makes sense and stands up to scrutiny then whatever the source I am happy to go along with it. If you only listen to one side of the argument then you can never truly claim to understand the problem.
TT clan forums

You knows I still wuvs ya rtcw:beer: ;)

Postby cavalierlwt » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:29 pm

Yeah, I can't wait to hear from our resident Brits and Canadians after they see it. On one hand your healthcare systems are made to look like utopia, on the other hand opponents to the movie are absolutely ripping into Canadian healthcare in particular. It would be cool to hear from the Medical industry people we have on this board too.

It's a stange issue because it cuts across party lines, yet is still quite polarizing. I thought that this movie does make a person want to learn more about the system--more so to understand the possible solution, not so much for 'a second opinion'. In this case there really isn't a second side to it, it's like looking for other side of Hitler.

Another of the movie strengths--it doesn't push a single solution too hard, mostly just points out the failures and looks at other systems.
Failing to plead
Life falls asleep
in a fetal position.

Postby Chacal » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:53 am

I haven't seen it yet.
I've heard it is basically true, although for emphasis he focuses on the best points of our health care system.

Our system isn't perfect and the government* is trying to keep costs down, also the M.D. association has always been trying to keep the number of doctors low (to keep demand, and thus salaries, high). As a result, doctors in hospitals are now overworked and are deserting. But at least no one is denied treatment because insurance companies want to keep high profits.

Our government also wants to start accepting private medical care, because of pressure from said insurance companies. This would mean a two-speed system where the rich get better treatment than the rest, which is of course unacceptable. Perhaps Moore's film will help prevent this.

------------------------------------------
* provincial government, health care is a provincial jurisdiction. Provinces are the same as your states.
Chacal

[SIZE="1"][color="LightBlue"]Reporter: "Mr Gandhi, what do you think of western civilization?"
Gandhi: "I think it would be a great idea."[/color][/SIZE]

Postby cavalierlwt » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:39 pm

It's funny, at work when this topic was discussed, immediately 2-3 people told stories of friends of cousins who knew a guy who knew another guy in Canada who died of cancer because it took 3 months for them to get treatment. Everyone had one of these round-a-bout stories, but I've never heard an actual Canadian or British person say they would trade their system for our system. I think we have a lot of good, well staffed hospitals with good equipment, it's just the insurance companies that screw everything up.
Again I say though, brace yourself Canadians, as this becomes a bigger issue here, there are going to be some mighty powerful groups that are going to demonize your system, I hope you guys can dish it back at 'em.

PS, saw this on Yahoo news today:

"More Americans going abroad for cheaper healthcare"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20070706/hl_hsn/medicaltourismtakesflight
Failing to plead
Life falls asleep
in a fetal position.

Return to Movies